Sunday, August 7, 2011

Two Years Post Transplant!


It's hard to believe it's been two years since Carter's liver transplant! We thought about not writing an update today, but we know so many people are still checking in on the blog and some who are in similar situations as we were two years ago. And for you, we love to share the great progress.

We had a fantastic year with good health and new experiences. Carter had a blast in his first year of preschool. He started a little late (in October) due to his third broken leg. However, the first day he started he went up to every kid in the class and said, "Hi, I'm Carter. What are you going to be for Halloween?" He is still as funny and personable as ever.

Carter had the occasional cold during the school year, but not as bad as we had expected having an immunosuppressed child entering preschool. I think the majority of the time, he actually got the cold from Bennett...who did incredible in his first year of kindergarten!

Davis is 23 months old, and it's hard to look at him and think that Carter was enduring so much at his age. We are so grateful for good health. Davis is running around all over the place, and talking up a storm. He's just trying to keep up with his very active big brothers.

Carter's bone density has gotten much better, and we don't hold our breath anymore when he is running, jumping and climbing. He still has blood draws every six weeks, scans (under general anesthesia) every three months, and check-ups at CHOC and UCLA every three months. He was having hearing tests every six months until recently. They are starting to detect high frequency hearing loss in both of Carter's ears from Cisplatin (the chemotherapy drug). This is a common side effect from the drug, and we thought we were in the clear. Apparently, chemo is still in the system for up to 7 years after treatment. Carter goes back in two weeks for a follow up hearing test. The doctor said if his test results are the same as they were three weeks ago, Carter will have to get hearing aides. I had a hard time with this news, as tears streamed down my face. I'm grateful for the drugs, but HATE the side effects. I just didn't want another thing to make Carter feel different. And I know your hearing doesn't get better with time, so Carter will have hearing aides for the rest of his life. Then, the doctor put it simply. She said, "It's like knowing your child can't see perfect, but if you provide glasses to them they can see!" So, (with some advice from my mom and sister) I told Carter we may go back there and get some special things for his ears so he will have bionic hearing and be a super hero. He thought that sounded pretty cool.

We still continue to hear from families who have been impacted by pediatric cancer and liver transplant candidates. Matt and I feel fortunate to share our story, and the success of Carter's treatment...and to provide hope. We continue to think about the donor's family, and hope they find solace in knowing that they made a choice to save a life that day. We continue to feel humbled and indebted for their decision.

3 comments:

  1. It has brought tears to my eyes to see such a wonderful, happy, healthy Carter.... Our God is such an amazing God..... We are so happy for your family.... So happy to hear how well everyone is doing... Praise God!!!!! We love you all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful news. I am pleased to have found my way back here and know that you all are well.

    Blessings,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kara and Family,

    I am SOOO incredibly happy for you all that CARTER BEAT CANCER!!! Never forget those words!!!! GO CARTER!!!! You guys are AMAZING and I am in awe of you all, especially you Kara. I now know the feelings that you might have had and to know that you were pregnant through all of this just makes it more apparent how incredible you are.

    Thanks for sharing your story. I've been reading it off and on when I have time. Thanks for posting on our blog as well. It's a blessing to have support from families that have been through this.

    Love you guys,
    Kristin and Family

    ReplyDelete