Friday, February 5, 2010

We’ve moved!

We are no longer swimming in boxes, but we still have a lot to do. Moving is exhausting! We are so grateful this didn’t happen any earlier in the year, because it may have made a chaotic time almost unbearable. Fortunately, Matt and I make a good team and we are already hanging pictures up and making it feel like home as quickly as possible.

Carter and Bennett love sharing a room! Carter has done great in a “big boy bed” and I’m sure it helps having his big brother right by his side. Also, he’s learned to be so adaptable the past year…he’s probably just happy it’s not a hospital bed. After we tucked them in the first night, we pressed our ears against the door to see if we could hear them talking. Bennett said, “Carter, are you awake?” And Carter wouldn’t answer, and went right to sleep. Hopefully, they keep that up!

Although we were dreading this move, we know it gives us a fresh start in this new year. We are hopeful for good health and happy memories in this house. Thank you to our friends and family that helped with the move! Our parents did a lot of the hard work, and we are so appreciative.

It seems as though moving has monopolized our week, but we did have a great oncology appointment on Monday. Carter got to see two of his favorite doctors. Now that Carter doesn’t have a central line in, we need to get blood work done at a clinic a few days prior to coming in to see the oncologist. We are hopeful we can coordinate these blood draws with UCLA so we don’t have to put Carter through it too often. I asked the oncologist if we can now refer to Carter as being “in remission”. He said that is a term used with some other cancers. He said the appropriate term for Carter now is even better, “he is disease-free!” It’s difficult to hear it or even think it without getting emotional. THIS is what we were waiting to hear since April 17, 2009.

Carter had physical therapy today, as well as a visit to CHOC’s Cancer Institute for two shots in his legs. Then, he and Matt came home for lunch before running off for a blood draw at the clinic. Once again, Carter was a champ for not a very enjoyable day.

Today Matt and I have been together 15 years. Wow! Aside from the past year, where has the time gone? Matt, thanks for being my best friend and partner in life! We know things aren’t always easy, but we always manage to laugh and see the light in everything. Your support keeps me grounded and your love raises me up. I know I’ve said it before, but our family could not have gotten through this year without your leadership. I love you.

*Sorry there are no pictures, we have yet to find the camera in our boxes!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your move, anniversary, and most importantly Carter being disease free! Make sure you leave some space on the walls for new portraits from your upcoming session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of disease free! What a year for the Kipp clan. You made it though with flying colors and now on to the good stuff. Enjoy your home, friends and those darling boys. So happy for you and Matt...big hugs and lot's of love to all of you.
    xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 years - WOW. Was bid day that long ago? Are you guys going to make a mud pit in your back yard to mark the anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Carter.....disease free is amazing. I hope that your new house brings great new memeories. 15 years is amazing. You do make a good team and I hope that you find the floor in your house soon. Praying for you! Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY! Anniversary...new home and most of all CDF (Carter Disease Free!)
    You are all amazing!
    Hugs, Jan and Jack Ashby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Disease-free!! That's the best news I've heard! Congratulations to you Carter! What a trooper! And congratulations to the Kipp family...you did it together! I'm also so proud of Carter for moving to the big boy bed so easily and happy that they get to share a room. It sounds like this new home is definitely proving to be a fantastic new beginning. Happy Anniversary Kara and Matt!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Anniversary! Congratulations on Carter being disease free...I praise God everytime I think about your sweet family!! Congratulations on the new home, may you have many blessed, happy & healthy years there. Many hugs & many more blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found your blog through another blog, I check on it every night to look for updates. I've been reading it from the very beginning. I cry happy tears and sad tears. You are an amazing family. One day while waiting for my kids to get out of school one of the moms was complaining about how much she had to do at home and it was right when you had posted your daily schedule with the boys. Of course I told her about you. I cant imagine what you and your family has gone through this year. I have 3 girls and they drive me crazy, then I think of your family and love my girls that much more. I've wanted to comment many of times but never have. I will miss your blog, but thank God its because Carter is Cancer free...woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I have made a comment on the blog, but I want you to know that I have read every one, and I can't tell you how proud I am of all of you. Kara, you and Matt have been such an inspiration to so many people, and have helped us all get our priorities straight. I know you have had some unbearable moments, but you have held your heads up high and done what you had to do. Carter has been a real "champ" and will grow up to be a wonderful man. Bennett and Davis have been such great brothers, and you have all worked together to reach the end of this chapter triumphantly. May you all look forward to many years of happiness, health and prosperity, and with a new appreciation of the important things in life.
    Love always,
    Gramma (Barbara)

    ReplyDelete