Carter has been tolerating his recovery from eye surgery. We know it must be uncomfortable, and he dreads the stinging eye drops we have to use four times a day. However, he does have such a high threshold for pain (which we have realized from the past). The surgeon told us Carter would be moving his head around more to look at things and probably wouldn’t move his eyes much in the first week after surgery. The doctor also said it feels like a charlie horse in your eye when you do try and move it. Well, (not surprising) Carter is looking all around. The eye surgery hasn’t slowed him down one bit. The doctor thought everything looked good on Friday and we will go back in one month to have him look at Carter’s eyes again. He said the swelling can often effect the overall eye placement, and that is out of our control. If they aren’t straight, the doctor would repeat the surgery three months after that evaluation. We’re hoping they’ll heal just fine. The doctor said Carter’s vision has probably improved from the surgery, but it is difficult for us to know.
Matt and I had the privilege to speak as the “Grateful Parents” at the annual CHOC Foundation Gala on Saturday night. We were honored to share our story and hope a lot of money was raised for an incredible hospital. I had been practicing the speech all week, and the boys had heard it several times. At the beginning of my speech I said: “My name is Kara Kipp and this is my husband, Matt Kipp. We are the proud parents of three boys: Bennett (who is almost 5 years old), Carter (who is 2.5), and Davis (who is 4 months old)…” Then I go on for 4 minutes about our journey with Carter over the past 9 months. The most emotional line for me was when I am talking about Carter getting his Broviac removed and how it is a sign of victory that Carter beat cancer. It was probably Bennett’s 10th time hearing the speech when he pulled me aside and said, “Mom, what’s your favorite part of the speech?” And I said, “When I say, ‘Bennett who is almost 5 years old’?!!” And he gave me a huge smile and said, “Me too!” Kids are funny!...and slightly predictable.
You are such a good Mommy...to know that Bennett needed to hear that is so wonderful. I am sure you and Matt left everyone in awe and a little teary eyed Saturday night. What a year and you have made it through with flying colors. Kara, life is full of bumps but you guys have made it through the worst and I know your life will be smooth sailing from now on. Enjoy the ride and remember how strong you all are...it's a good life! Big hugs and stay dry! xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteI love baby laughs! Is there any footage of your speech on the CHOC website or YouTube? Would love to see/hear it.
ReplyDeleteITB
Such a happy update. Glad to hear that ALL of you have been coping well. You must beam with pride Kara when you see all of you boys having fun together.
ReplyDeleteGive them all hugs from the Eastside Gang.
Been out of touch for awhile. So happy to catch up and see all the cute pics. Bet you really moved many folks at the gala with your heart-touching speech. Hugs to all of you.
ReplyDeleteJan and Jack Ashby
Very cute pictures!! I'm sure the speech was great and Bennett's question was so cute ( and yes, so predictable too)! It must have been very hard and rewarding to share with so many people your painful journey over the past year almost and also so joyous to share the fact that Carter is on the other end of it by beating that nasty cancer!! I would love to hear your speech...is there a place to look it up???
ReplyDeleteTake care and have a great week Kipps!
Shelley H.