Monday, January 4, 2010

Tubies out!

Carter anticipating his surgery

Carter's post-op popsicle

We headed to CHOC early this morning for Carter’s Broviac removal surgery. I woke up in a panic because the surgeon’s office never told us to hold off on Carter’s aspirin (a blood thinner) before surgery. I had completely forgotten to inquire about it. We were crossing our fingers that we’d still be able to have surgery today. Luckily, the surgeon felt totally confident still doing surgery and said Carter is on such a small dosage of baby aspirin it wouldn’t matter.

When the surgeon came in to talk to us, Carter said, “Dr. Kabeer, you gonna take my tubies out?” And the doctor said, “Yes Carter, and congratulations!” And it is a huge victory! There was another girl in there getting her central line out this morning too and it just made my eyes tear-up. These kids BEAT cancer and this is their first step in feeling like normal kids again.

They gave Carter this anti-anxiety (amnesia) med they always give him before surgery. It makes the separation from Matt and me a lot less dramatic. He just begins to get goofy and sleepy, and is almost dead-weight. At that point, we passed him off to the nurses to take him to get prepped for surgery.

The surgeon came out and said everything went great and there was very little bleeding. When we went into the recovery room to see Carter, he was just waking up (and doing his usual screaming as he comes to). He was crying that he wanted his tubies back in. Matt and I couldn’t help but laugh and told him he definitely didn’t want that. After holding him a while with warm blankets, he began to settle down.

Since we’ve been home, he just keeps looking down his shirt and can’t believe the tubes are gone. Imagine if you had an apparatus attached to your body for as long as you can remember, and suddenly it is gone. I’m sure it’s a strange sensation for him. He’ll have sponge baths for another five days and then, Carter gets to take a REAL bath and can get completely wet!!! He can go swimming! No more dressing changes or tubes to flush every day! Carter is free!!!

16 comments:

  1. HORRAY!!! What a fantastic day that Carter got his Broviac out! So glad to hear the surgery went well...great job, Carter!
    XOXO,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are free too! What a huge step for your family. So happy it went well...Carter is such a miracle. Bless his heart...big hugs to him and all the Kipps. xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your whole family!!!!! What a joyous day! Lots of love to you all!
    xo,
    misha

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!! Carter, you have been our HERO all along this long journey and your parents are the an inspiration to ALL parents.

    And to think of swimming this summer is so cool.

    BIG HUGS TO CALL. Love, Tink

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear that all went well with getting the Broviac out! Great job Carter! What a great day for you all...
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad it went well. Was thinking of you all day.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. CELEBRATION!!!!
    This is the first step of many for Carter to feel "normal" again, I know it. Your family certainly has good reason to wish 2009 goodbye, but I really loved your take on it in your previous post. Throughout this whole experience I have been impressed with your positivity, hope, honesty, and talent in expressing all of those for those of us reading. In the Virgin Islands, there is a saying that I think applies to the Kipp Family: "Positive is how I Live." :) Happy New Year and we're still keeping you all in our prayers.
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What a wonderful milestone and great start to 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following your blog for months and have shed many tears with you along the way! Today's post is truly a milestone and your last words say it all! Carter is free! And God is good! Blessings to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's HUGE! Way to go Carter!
    xoxo,
    Amy Deck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yayyyyyyy!!!! Bathtime here you come! Congratulations, I am SOOO happy for you guys!

    Courtney Norton

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAYAYAYA Carter! great news no more tubies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous accomplishment, Carter!!!! Time to get to know that rubber duckie again!!!! Go Carter!!!
    xoxo The Schoutens

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great news and what a wonderful way to start the new year. Woohoo Carter... and... mom... and.... dad!

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Jan and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!!! We're proud of you Carter! Our children are truly amazing Kipp family! Seth may get his Broviac out this next week so I'm glad you mentioned the aspirin...

    We're also awaiting a REAL bath!
    Best of everything in 2010!

    With love,

    Samantha Fong, mom to Seth

    ReplyDelete