Carter singing with Grammy an hour after vomiting for his first time after starting chemo
Carter and Mom cruising the floor
Carter's buddy Elmo has his own central lineCarter started chemo at 9:30pm last night, and wasn't finished until about 1:30am. It was a rough night. During chemo he was sweaty and uncomfortable. He just wanted to be held by mom. He slept a little here and there throughout the night, but not much. He hasn't gotten sick though, so we're hoping the anti-nausea med helps. He had his first real bath since we've been at the hospital and wasn't loving it. He wouldn't sit down and was just crying. We think he is in some pain, either from surgery or this massive tumor in his abdomen. We're hoping as chemo progresses it will start shrinking the tumor quickly to relieve him of this pain. And maybe his appetite will increase as well. Today Carter is to just rest and get hydrated (via IV). And Dad and Bennett are home with runny noses. We need them to rest and get better before Carter's homecoming around Thursday next week.
People have asked how does this happen and what stage of cancer is Carter in. We aren't concerned with the why and the how, or we would literally go crazy. We are just focused on where we are now, and where we need to go. As far as the stage, the doctors aren't concerned about it and neither are we. In some cancers staging is necessary for treatment, this is not the case with hepatoblastoma. Stage 1 would be only surgery, and stage 4 would be straight to liver transplant. Carter falls somewhere in between. We just know the goal is cancer free, and I know we'll get there. It is difficult to hear that this is something Carter will have to deal with his whole life. He will have to have check-ups with an oncologist forever. It just seems crazy that a toddler has to deal with such an adult situation. Luckily, he has a lot of character already and this will make his story that much more special. After fighting this, he can take on anything in life!
We can't thank everyone enough for all their love, support and prayers. I have received hundreds of emails, and it is amazing. Please continue your great thoughts as we have just started a long battle ahead.
Elmo and his central line is just TOO cute!
ReplyDeleteM&K I love your attitude: "focused on where we are now and where we need to go." Such a loving, positive atmosphere for Carter! That's what's really important. I pray he continues to take his treatment so well and I'll keep thinking "SHRINK SHRINK SHRINK!" XOXO
You have a truly special family. I love you all so much and cannot stop thinking about you!! and I agree with the mantra .. SHRINK SHRINK SHRINK ... --court
ReplyDeleteCarter is such a super star. Love that smile through all this! I think that we all need to make "shrink shrink shrink" t-shirts! We are thinking of you guys and sending lots of love and feeling good vibes! Love, Courtney and Charlie
ReplyDeleteHi Kara. I am a friend of Erin Burns. She told me about your son. My son was 2 wks shy of turning 2 when he was diagnosed with medulloblastoma (a brain tumor). Those pics bring back so many memories! We've been on some of that chemo Carter is on, had that central line for a year, we did radiation, have done some therapy to catch him up ect. Our life revolves around his scans now. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. Your little guy sounds like a trooper and you guys will make it through this, I know it. Good Luck with everything!!
ReplyDeleteI love the Carter and Elmo picture! Carter and your whole family are in our thoughts every day...we are cheering for you and also thinking "shrink shrink!!"
ReplyDeletemuch love and strength to you!
God's word says we have not because we ask not. He also tells us to "command His hand"...Father I stand before You bringing the Kipp family. Father I remind You that You are no respecter of persons, that what YOU do for one, YOU are willing to do for all. Lord You have healed many of cancer, various types in various positions in the body. Father I bring Carter before You, a cute and sweet spirit and I command Your mighty hand of healing upon him. Father touch Carter like You touched my friend Venus, Jan, Julie and various others. Touch Carter's healthy cells, increase them and use them to overtake and overrun these cancerous cells in his little body. Show Your mighty power through this little one, shrink this tumor and disolve it in Jesus' mighty name, for it is by Jesus' stripes we are healed. I know Father that healing isn't just spiritual, that it can manifest into a natural healing in our bodies, minds, and emotions. Holy Spirit, pour out that horn of oil over and into Carter. Let him be healed according to God's will, word, & purposes, bringing all glory and honor to Him upon His mighty throne. Holy Spirit surround the Kipp family with a fresh cloak of the Father's peace and love. Whisper words of love, encouragement and joy in and through each member. Pour out fresh joy over this family, for Your word Father says Your joy is our strength, bathe this family in such joy, love & peace. I thank YOU on this side of Carter's healing oh Lord, I dance like David before Your throne rejoicing for the work of Your hand in healing this beautiful child. I thank You for Your mighty hand of provision for this family. All honor and glory be upon Your name. Amen
ReplyDeleteLove Grammy singing with Carter. Kara and Matt you are both being so brave...I am so proud of how you are handling this horrendous ordeal. Only positive thoughts and energy for your little Carter. Love you guys and thinking and praying for you every day. Give Carter a big hug from another Grandma!
ReplyDeleteXOXO Cindy Harcar
Hi Kara and Matt,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that Carter is in my prayers every day, and I know that he is going to get through this with flying colors- he is such an amazing kid! I'm so proud of the courage and positive attitude you two and Bennett have in dealing with all of this. Give Carter and Bennett both big hugs from me. Lots of love, Alana