Sunday, April 26, 2009

We've Got Our CHOC Routine Down

Carter sporting his new hat

Carter was a little restless last night. He is definitely learning how to ask for what he wants. When we were sleeping and I wasn't the perfect pillow to cuddle up to, he'd wake me up and say "mama sit up" and he'd try and move me. And when our 16 month old roommate with leukemia would wake up crying in the night, Carter (half asleep) would say "no crying baby". He is still his sweet, mild mannered little self, but knows to speak up for himself too. He has become such a better patient also. When the nurses come in every 4 hours to take his vitals, he now sticks out a foot to do his blood pressure and lifts an arm to take his temperature. What a difference from the first day! Carter ate a little food today too (and kept it down). It was just a half cup of applesauce and a fourth of a pb and j sandwich, but it was something. He still is gagging a little bit, so we know to take it easy.

It's hard to believe we may go home on Thursday, and on Saturday have to come back to the clinic for his weekly chemo (just one drug) and blood work. Then, we'll be admitted back into the hospital in another two weeks from when we leave. Carter's care will definitely consume our lives for the coming months. But he's a fighter, and we're right here beside him! Carter is an inspiration every day, and he keeps us moving forward.

By the way, Carter just called down to the CHOC radio station (Radio Lollipop) and requested "Itsy Bitsy Spider", so we're waiting for his request. Stay tuned!!

8 comments:

  1. Carter,
    It is so cool that you requested the itsy bitsy spider on the radio! I can't wait to get to see you and sing it with you! Thinking of you.

    Love,
    Charlie Norton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to let you know that Carter and each of you are in our thoughts and prayers every day. We have many, many prayer requests circulating amongst friends and family. Your strength and attitude are amazing. Stay strong and do not hesitate to reach out to all of us willing and wanting to help in any way we can be useful.
    Thinking of you.
    Michelle (Mckeever) Sullivan and Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara -

    I just got off the phone with Julie Ryder and heard the news about little Carter. I can't tell you had sad I am to hear the news. It sounds like you have quite the little fighter and are surrounded by lots of family, friends, and wonderful doctors. I just want to let you know that I'm thinking about you and your family and will add you to the prayers I say every night with my two little boys.

    ITB,
    Kristin Hazard Kiltz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God his spirits are up and so is his appetite a bit....Praise God. Still praying down Carter's miraculous healing. Father said we don't have because we don't ask....so why not ask for a miracle! I know God has that beautiful boy in His mighty gaze and gentle hands. Praising God and dancing like David in celebration of Carter's healing, patiently waiting for it to manifest in the natural. Major hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys!! Just wanted you to know how much we love each of you and are thinking of you. Your positive attitudes are inspiring, and we are so proud of little Carter, what a trouper.

    We are here for you, and are anxious to help make this easier on you in any way we can!! I've had a lot of friends ask about bringing you meals....could we set up a cooler outside so as not to worry about too many visitors??Take care, and we'll keep the prayers and positive energy coming your way!!

    Much love,
    Katy, Harv, Jordie and Mason

    P.S. I mentioned to Jordie having Benny over to play soon, and she wants to know if they can just get married so they can have sleepovers and playdates every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that he is eating and being a good patient. Thinking about you everyday. Let us know if you need anything.
    Love,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. If that's not the sweetest boy, I don't know who is. We are just falling in love with that little guy... With every picture and every new post.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers, buddy! You make us all proud to be your friend! xo t

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harris loves Itsy Bitsy Spider too! What a great request.

    Lots of love,
    Daralyn & Harris Christensen

    ReplyDelete