Sunday, November 8, 2009

Park?!




Since Carter was diagnosed, Matt and I have been careful about what we say in front of him because we don’t want to be talking about things he can’t do. Well, apparently we haven’t mentioned the word “park” in over six months.

The oncologist had told us during Carter’s last inpatient chemo visit at CHOC that it would be okay to start going to the park in due time. Well, Matt and I decided today would be the day. This morning I said to Carter, “Do you want to do something special today? Do you want to go to the park?” He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I’m ashamed to say, Carter didn’t remember what a park was! Before being diagnosed, we spent countless hours at different parks.

Carter was very excited as he, Bennett and Dad headed out the door on this new adventure. Matt staked out the isolated park to make sure no other kids were around, and they had a blast. The boys ran around and played for over an hour. Carter was exhausted when they got home, and now knows what a park is again! It was a good day.

And it’s nice to give him a break and have days like this before he undergoes more testing tomorrow. We are headed into CHOC bright and early for a 6:30am check-in for Carter’s bone biopsy of his second rib. Please think good thoughts for negative results! It’s going to be a long day.

7 comments:

  1. Greetings Kipp Family!

    I dont know you personally, but have been a loyal follower of your blog since Carter's diagnosis. (Erin Gregg Burns is a good friend of mine from college.) Anyhow, just wanted you to know that I ran in a race today which raised money to support families who are dealing with catastrophic illness. As I was running I thought of you all constantly, praising God that you have been able to reach this point in Carter's journey and that you are still putting one foot in front of another with a smile on your face each and everyday. Your positive, unselfish outlook is nothing short of inspirational and Carter can only be described as a rockstar toddler.

    Just wanted you all to know that you are in my family's thoughts and prayers and that your amazing two year old was an inspiration to me as the miles added up today.

    All the best to you this week. I know that the test results are going to be favorable!

    Blessings,
    JOY SPRINGER

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying and thinking positive thoughts for negative results...love and hugs, Julie Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are probably getting up soon to get the troops ready for your long day. There is no way there is cancer in Carter's rib but I am glad you have aggressive Doctors...once this is behind you everyone will feel the peace and joy of a full recovery. My prayer at this very moment is for complete healing for Carter Kipp...bless him with perfect health for the rest of his life. Big hugs and hang on you are almost done! PS love the idea of going to the park and just having some old fashion fun! xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fun day!!! We re praying for good news today!

    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for negative results! So glad Carter was able to spend time in the park. I see many more park visits in the days and months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing about the fun park day! Happy belated half birthday Carter, and 2 month birthday, Davis! Sending you extra prayers and positive thoughts for "no negative news". I know it's on it's way! Love to all of you!!
    Xoxo, The Harvies

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad he was able to go to the park....the little things we take for granted. Praying for you guys with your busy day and negative results. Carter is our hero! Brooke

    ReplyDelete