Monday, November 2, 2009

The plan for the week

One happy boy

Davis is fitting right in...

We spoke with our primary oncologist today. He confirmed that Carter’s bone scan was positive…meaning it just can’t be considered negative because there are the areas in question. We have read that false positives can be common for bone scans. We are hoping this is the case for Carter. The doctor said we will go ahead with the MRI on Wednesday. Unfortunately, they were not able to add the legs into the scan. This would add an additional 90 minutes to the scan, and the radiology team does not have this kind of time in their schedule (more about this later). So, the scan will just be the abdomen area.

In addition to the MRI, the doctor would like to have a biopsy done to Carter’s rib on his left side. He said it appears as almost a nodule on the bone. His left leg, where his break was, also appears this way (as they would expect with a break). So, we are hopeful there had just been a crack in the rib and the nodule is the bone repairing itself. We have to rule out everything else. This procedure will be more invasive than the bone marrow biopsy they had mentioned last week. This will involve a surgical team and Carter being put under general anesthesia. Yes, it looks like he will be put under twice within a few days. They are hoping to do the biopsy before the end of the week.

I had asked the doctor if we will be certain after these tests or if we’ll just have to wait until scanning again. He said, unfortunately, we won’t know until we rescan and we can make sure there is no growth (which he plans to do in another 6-8 weeks). He also said he will be following the AFP numbers closely to make sure there is no increase, most often indicating tumor growing. I asked what these numbers were from Friday, because UCLA had wanted to get them as well. Carter’s AFP earlier in October went from 18 to 37, and THANK GOD is back down to 16.2! The doctor is very optimistic that this is not cancer that has metastasized to Carter’s bones. He said the chemo was so successful on Carter and he’s thinking it is just osteoporosis. Matt and I need to make sure this is the case. We want this cancer completely gone before we allow ourselves to have a sigh of relief. We are still in fighting mode until we need to be.

5 comments:

  1. Thinking positive thoughts and praying alot...love and hugs, Julie Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always thinking and still praying for you all each day!
    Jody Bolin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! More waiting.... It's a good thing you have both tests this week so that you can get a better idea of what's going on with the little guy!! I'm sure it is osteoperosis and will be solved soon enough so the waiting will end. You guys are doing a fantastic job keeping everyhting moving along and we are always so inspired by your strength and endurance on a daily basis. You are constantly helping me be more patient at home when things are frustrating as I know that the tantrums from my little ones don't even compare to what you guys are having to go through. We will continue to send our prayers and hugs and hope you have a great day today.
    Love, Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the "hurry up and wait" phase that begins again for you all. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...and also thanking you for reminding us all how precious our children are, and that we, as parents will do whatever it takes to keep them safe...even sacrificing those "lost moments" (from your post a few days ago--it really got me).

    Hugs-
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Davis looks adorable in that outfit!!! I am so sorry that you still have to do all these darn tests...so frustrating. You are all so strong and it will get better once you confirm that he does not have any more cancer. Hang on Kara...it is almost over. Big hugs...xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete