Davis was crying and Carter asked to hold him to make him "feel betta"We have been inspired not only by Carter over the past several months, but by an army of people with unbelievable words. We receive blog postings, letters and emails every day that help us carry on. These are just a few we wanted to share that brought us to tears. Thank you…
A friend from high school wrote…“In the sea of hell you have been swimming, that is one tremendously positive thing. What a wonderful family you have. I am pulling for Carter all the way!”
A mother of another liver transplant recipient wrote...“Each year I get less and less crazy (about germs) and we hardly even break out the Purell anymore. All the transplant parents are different. You just have to do what makes you feel safe and what doesn’t freak out your child. (Her daughter) isn’t a freak about germs but she knows she is not allowed to share cups or eating utensils with anyone. She washes her hands after school, before she eats, after the bathroom, normal appropriate times. We have two cats and a dog. They lick her face (gasp) and she plays with them all the time (she just doesn’t get litter box or pooper scoop chores). She took swimming lessons in a public pool 2 years after transplant, she has been in the ocean and a lake since her transplant, she has ridden a horse, fed squirrels, been to the zoo...... Sea World and Disneyland.... she has a great and active life. Yay!!! There is a level of concern that comes with doing those things, but as long as she was healthy and her numbers were good (and I kept her hands clean) it was all worth the risk. She didn’t fight her way back from liver disease and transplant to live in a plastic bubble (the doctors at UCLA told me that). I don’t think you will be like you are now forever, maybe until about a year after transplant and as Carter heals and grows… before you know it, you will forget the Purell one day and it won’t freak you out!”
Our friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer seven weeks after Carter was diagnosed wrote…“As I told Matt, I think about Carter's strength and perseverance and it gives me strength. For a little guy, he teaches some pretty big lessons! I have followed Carter's blog each and every day and am amazed every single day how strong and positive you and Matt are. I truly think that your strength and positivity has prepared me to handle my battle. I agree that there is no other option - a doctor friend told me today that 50% of this battle is emotional and if I want to beat it, I need to believe that I will be cured, and I do believe that I will be cancer-free. In fact, Carter and I may just have to throw a little cancer-free party together:) I truly look forward to that moment…I've never meant this more in my life when I tell you that your strength and daily approach to life is awe inspiring. Carter is my hero, as are you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as they have been a guide for me.”
A neighbor wrote…“Although I barely know you, I follow your lives so closely everyday through your blog. Thank you so much for letting me into your lives and sharing your highs and lows. It must take a lot to write every evening after an already exhausting day. I have laughed, cried, and prayed after so many of your messages. You have put so many things in my life into perspective and made me try to be a better parent. As a neighbor, my little girl and our dog walk past your home everyday. We can't help but feel the love that radiates out of there. Thank you for opening your lives up to us. Through your struggles and Carter's battle, hopefully we can all be stronger individuals.”
Thanks for sharing - perfect words for a Sunday.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful family you have. My friend, Terra Brusseau shared your blog with me months ago and I have been reading your journey with Carter. What an inspiration all of you are to people suffering with all kinds of diseases. We lost my nephew to leukemia 5 years ago after a bone marrow transplant and a stem cell. People feel the pain and heart ache you face on a daily basis We pray Carter is healed and will live a long and healthy life.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful holiday season,
Jean Bettencourt
CWL is still keeping all of you before God's throne of Grace. The congregation ask me each service how all of you are doing and what is the new prayer concern. We have cheered with every triumph and cried at every trial. We are loving you across the miles and we hope we bring you lots of smiles. We speak heath and prosperity over your lovely famliy in Jesus' mighty name. Thank you for allowing us to keep you before the Father. Keep blogging and letting us know how you all are and we will be faithful to keep you in prayer. Many hugs & many more blessings dearest Kipps!
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing family and your story has touched me in ways I can't describe by typing words. My hugs to my kids are alot longer, my patience has grown, and my love for everyday has grown because of Carter and his story. I check you blog daily and pray nightly for your family. Carter is a hero and he has such strength. Keep your heads up!!! Love, Brooke
ReplyDelete