Saturday, July 25, 2009

It’s hard having a brother with cancer

Carter with his Uncle Kevin

Tonight, as Matt and I were getting Carter out of the bath and getting ready to change his Broviac dressing Bennett said something that made us sad. He said, “I wish I had liver cancer.” Our immediate response was to be mad and not allow Bennett to even speak those words. Then, Bennett and I went in the other room and got a chance to talk about it. I asked why he would feel that way. He said he didn’t know. And I asked if it was because Carter gets a lot of attention from Dad and me because we have to take care of his medicine and tubes, etc. Bennett said, “Yes, his tubes take so long to clean.” We reassured Bennett that he is the most amazing brother and most incredible 4 year old boy. And that Matt and I are so proud of him, and we truly are! We know it’s not easy to watch his brother go through this, and he’s allowed to have break-downs (as Matt and I have allowed ourselves to do). Cancer affects the whole family. And yes, we are getting through it and hopefully we’ll be closer and stronger in the end…but it’s a hard journey. Bennett’s comment made us sad. We hope he doesn’t feel that way often, but when he does feel that way we’re glad he says it.

Carter is still feeling well, and we are still waiting for that phone call. Bennett and Matt went swimming today, and later in the afternoon Uncle Kevin, Grammy and Denny came over to visit. We have to be cautious of who Carter is around, so he doesn’t get exposed to anything. We are not willing to risk having to walk away from another liver. So, extra precautions are being used and fully masked faces are common around our house when someone stops by. Some people have you take your shoes off when you come to their house, we have you wash your hands and put on a Mickey Mouse mask.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Kara that is so hard to read...little Benny feeling that way. As always you handled it with compassion and listened to him which I am sure is all he needed. He has been able to do so many special things this summer that Carter has missed...I think you have done an incredible job juggling with ease and grace. Bennett will be fine and soon this will all be over. Big hugs...and so happy to hear Carter had another great day.
    xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E...very cute mask! You are so right, everyone is impacted. How great that Bennett could talk to you and you could help him understand his very important role and what an amazing big brother he is.

    It is time for that phone call...God Bless you and the donor family.
    Love and hugs,
    Jan and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great big brother! I am sure his response to this is all quite "normal", but not any easier to hear as parent I am sure. I pray this all is over soon for your family.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post had me in tears. I was thinking about Bennett yesterday......how he must feel.You are an amazing family and can't imagine how you do it. I am praying for a liver and for Carter to still feel good.
    Kara-Let me know if you need anything.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bennett I am so proud of you. You have been awesome helping out taking care of little Carter. I know it isn't easy sugar, but you hang in there. God knew Carter needed a big brother and He picked you because you are so special.

    Kara & Matt I think you have done an awesome job trying to keep some normalcy in Bennett's life throughout all of this. I pray God will give you His joy abundantly. Praying for a creative miracle for not only Carter but for your entire family. Many hugs and many more prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benny is such a sweetheart...it just breaks my heart to read this post. He is such an amazing little boy and the best big brother. Glad to hear that you guys had a good weekend and we are praying for a liver soon.
    XOXO,
    Shan & Tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. kara and family,
    you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. i've been reading the blog and getting little updates from krista (as you are well aware, you have an amazing sister!). praying specifically for god's timing and the right donor. also, praying for little bennett. sounds like he's an amazing little boy. you both should be so proud. loved the dance party video, by the way :)
    lots of love,
    jim and mollie and family

    ReplyDelete