Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Outpatient chemo

Carter...Say cheese, not show cheese!

Today was our weekly visit to the CHOC Outpatient Infusion Center. We haven’t become as familiar with the clinic as we thought we would because we have ended up being inpatient at the hospital more than we had anticipated. It is so nice though to go and have your treatment and go home. Carter had an hour-long drip of an antibiotic which helps fight pneumonia. We have this drug once a month. Then, he had his weekly chemo drug (the one with all the rare side effects which Carter seems to have gotten). It is such a small amount in the syringe compared to other drugs he receives, yet it is so potent. We can’t show any adverse feelings towards chemo drugs though, we are thankful to have them and they are often the drugs that save many people’s lives.

Carter did great today. His weight was still up, no fever and he got to watch Barney at the clinic. One of the oncologists said they will check Carter’s AFP levels again next week. It should be interesting to see if they have dropped dramatically again. We don’t really know what to expect. At the beginning of all of this the doctors had said they weren’t sure if it was one massive tumor, or multiple tumors in Carter’s liver. They told us we needed to do chemo to shrink it down and see exactly what we are working with. Well, from the last MRI at UCLA, the surgeon had told us there are two tumors on the right lobe and two tumors on the left lobe. One tumor on the left side has shrunken dramatically, and one on the right has shrunken quite a bit. However, one tumor on either side hasn’t changed much in size. Therefore, both lobes of the liver are affected, and this usually means a transplant. So, if Carter’s AFP levels are much lower, it would be interesting to rescan and see what has improved. At the end of the day though, we know transplant is the best option for no recurrence of cancer…bottom line.

We just wanted to thank Sarah Kane at Marcus and Millichap in Newport Beach. She works with Matt and has organized a fundraiser for Carter at El Torito tomorrow from 11am-9:30pm. We know she has been working hard on putting this together, and we are so very grateful. You are extremely thoughtful Sarah! Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to the fundraiser. It sounds like there will be a huge turnout, young and old! Everybody is rooting for the Kipps!!! I love all the photos of Carter with his big shoes that he never takes off! They are precious! My girls are loving spending time with Bennett. I always look forward to Bennett stories when they get home. They are trying to put Charlie on a schedule. I think it's too late!!! Lots of love, Jamie and Fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the outpatient chemo went well yesterday. Hope that the fundraiser is a huge success today, too!
    XOXO,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gotten some people in my office to go to El Torito for lunch and Jud and I are going for dinner! We are excited to help in any way we can. Keep up the fight!

    Nikki Crary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my pleasure doing all of this :) And I'm glad you guys finally had an outpatient visit and his weight is up! It's the little things that count now :)

    Lots of love,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are amazing. I have a feeling the fundraiser will be a great success. All of the pictures of the boys together are great. Carter has got some serious style going on lately. He is RAD!

    XO
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forwarded the flyer to people I know in OC. I am sure it will be a success! Hope you guys get to go. Think of you daily.

    Love, Sarah Frey

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so nice for you guys to do the Chemo and get to go home afterwards. Great work Carter! I wish we lived closer and could attend the fundraiser tomorrow, but we'll be thinking of you all as we always are!
    We love you!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete