Carter and Mom waiting for chemo at OPI
The boys eating a new staple...rice krispie treatsWell, we had our first outpatient chemo visit today. Carter did a great job! He pointed out to the nurse where to inject the chemo into his Broviac line, “Dis.” We also talked to the nurse practitioner about the amount in which we should or should not be giving Carter pain meds. For some reason, Matt and I have tried to just give him pain meds in the mid-day and evening before bed. He wakes up every morning uncomfortable though, and is pretty miserable throughout the entire morning. The nurse said there is no reason for a child to have to be in pain during this ordeal. We should be giving pain meds on an as-needed basis, and make him more comfortable. So, tomorrow we will give Carter pain meds in the morning if he seems like he has discomfort and hopefully it will make the day better for everyone!
We were so anxious to get the AFP results today. We brought it up to the nurse, and she wasn’t sure why we didn't have the results. We were determined to not leave until they were tracked down though. She came back and said the results were great. Carter’s original AFP was 270,000 (a normal count would be 1 to a very high 7), and as of last Thursday (two weeks after starting chemo) they had dropped to 59,800!! I was so happy I cried. I was hopeful they would be cut in half, and was not expecting this big drop. This is a preliminary indicator that the chemo is working!! I’m getting teary just typing it. This is all worth it. Carter is having to endure so much now, but it is all for a purpose!
“AFP is used to monitor response to therapy and to detect tumor recurrence after treatment. In one study of 31 children with primary unresectable hepatoblastoma, a large, early fall in AFP level in response to chemotherapy was the strongest independent predictor of outcome.”
Matt did his first at-home Broviac dressing change this evening. He did an awesome job, but he and I were both very nervous through the whole process. We were practically holding our breaths as we didn’t want to breathe and contaminate the site. And “cool Carter” just sat back with his hands above his head watching the whole thing. Today felt like a successful day!
HORRAY!! Lower AFP counts! I just teared up reading this and am SO happy to hear the chemo is working. Fantastic. Keep fighting, Carter - you are so brave!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
XO, Shan
Sooo ecstatic about the lowered counts!!! That's such great news! He's such a strong little guy, amazing! Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove, Alana
YAY! I'm crying too. That is the best news ever! What a little stud. What a miracle medicine is. Seems our mantra is working...SHRINK SHRINK SHRINK! Go Carter!
ReplyDeleteWOW! Excellent news! I am crying too. There is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. You guys are on your way indeed. This will all be over soon. We are so glad all the hard part is doing its job and making a difference. Carter is one tough cookie.
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Daralyn and Fam
I just pulled up your blog this morning and THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!! Oh, thank you Lord. I am crying right now too. I know you needed this. Carter - We love you so much and you have been such a brave little man.
ReplyDeleteKnow you are are having a good time with Grandma being their.
HUGS HUGS HUG Auntie Tink
Yeahhhhhh! That totally brought tears to my eyes and gave me goose bumps! What a stud he is! We are soooo excited!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Courtney Norton
Sounds like your Mother's Day gift came a day late. Congratulations, that is such wonderful news!
ReplyDeleteWhat awesome news!! Stay strong, Carter, we are so proud of the way you are handling all of this. We will definitely keep the positive thoughts headed your way. Love to all of you!!
ReplyDeleteKara,
ReplyDeleteYour grace under fire is truly remarkable. Carter will be blown away years from now when he looks back on this blog. Sending more positive thoughts your family's way!
YAY for lower numbers!! Carter is on his way!! You guys are SO strong!! I keep you all in my prayers every day. Thanks for keeping us all updated- this blog is amazing!
ReplyDeleteLove, Heather Devany (Awalt)
Glad to hear that Carter's AFP is decreasing! That is SUCH a good sign! He looks like he is taking this so well with so much support from his family and friends! What a brave little man!
ReplyDeleteKara and Matt - you will be pros at dressing changes soon!
Sending lots of love and prayers... Lesley "Taylor" Bailey and Family
Praise God, Praise God, Praise God. May that AFP count keep going down back to a normal healthy level in the name of Jesus. May that chemo trigger Carter's healthy cells to be fruitful and to multiply to drive out any cancerous cells in his body. May that tumor dissolve in Jesus' mighty name. Father I have watched you heal many types of cancers.....heal this one in the mighty name of Jesus. Restore strength and an healthy appetite to Carter in Jesus' mighty name. I speak to the angels posted in and around Carter to keep singing songs of healing over and through Carter. Dancing a wild dance of joy around the throne! Many hugs, gentle ones especially for Carter.
ReplyDeleteYeah! Thank you God! I am so happy and an impressive drop in the AFP levels! Great work on being so brave Carter and to all the Kipps! Keep up the fantastic work you guys.
ReplyDeleteShelley H.
OMG...just got home from Vegas for our anniversary and of course the first thing I did was go to the blog for an update. So THRILLED about your great news on the AFP count. Kara and Matt you are doing such an incredible job taking care of this little guy. Stay strong!
ReplyDeleteBig hugs...XOXO Cindy and John
WOW!!! I just read the wonderful news and i am SOO thrilled for you..i know he will continue to get better and there is not a day that goes by that we don't think of Carter and your family!! You are all AMAZING and truly one of a kind with your ability to stay so strong and focused...have faith.....:)
ReplyDeletelove and hugs...The Blowers
Fantastic news!! We are praying for you and are so happy to hear this wonderful news. Kara, we always knew you were a great mom but reading your blogs and how you are handling this really makes it clear what an amazing woman you are...Happy Mother's Day!!!
ReplyDeleteKipp Family.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad Carter's numbers are down and they will continue to go down! Carter is such an amazing little boy with very positive, caring and strong parents! Hang in there!
Tracy Zenz
I have the chills writing this. That is amazing news. I am praying for you guys daily. GO CARTER!!!!
ReplyDelete