Carter with his Great GrandmotherCould it be 8:15pm and both boys are asleep? This hasn’t been the case since Carter was diagnosed. However, tonight they were exhausted. I took Bennett to see the new Pixar movie “Up” during naptime today, so he fell asleep on the couch watching TV at 7:45pm. And Carter has been more irritable than usual today. I think we’ve been so spoiled with him acting like his old self for more than a week. We have to remind ourselves of how he was on day 17 of the last cycle. Matt and I aren’t sure what the sudden change is, but of course, a million things run through our heads. We were finding ourselves this evening going through page after page of information on all the different drugs Carter is on and the side effects. Similar to last night, he just seems sort of lethargic (maybe just tired). He definitely has his moments of energy bursts running around the house with Bennett, and this is what keeps us from calling the doctor (and the fact that he doesn’t have a fever- yeah!). There is a lot of stress involved in caring for a child with cancer. Especially when that child can’t express to you what the problem is. Although, Matt and I go back and forth on this matter. We had the pleasure of getting to know some wonderful kids at CHOC, and they were able to express to their parents how they were feeling and it was heartbreaking. I think either side is miserable. I digress to an earlier blog entry, children should not have cancer! Hopefully, tomorrow will be a brighter and uneventful day. One good thing that happened today was that Carter was a very patient and cooperative little guy for his Broviac dressing change. Now, when Carter wakes up in the morning he says, “Dada, clean my tubes?!” So, since he was so willing for the daily flushes of his lines we just did the whole process at once. And again, Matt did great while I sang and cheered lying down next to Carter. It’s a team effort around here, but Carter was the star!
And we just want to say thank you again to Kim Krotts for organizing Restaurants on the Run, and to ALL the people who donated. We have been using it a lot, and it has been so nice and easy…and VERY appreciated!! THANK YOU!!
Adorable picture of Barbara and Carter...both with the big "Burnham" grin! The stress of taking care of a sick child is so scary and you and Matt are doing it with such grace. We are all in awe of two young parents handling this nightmare with the most positive attitude. I hope Carter wakes up this morning refreshed and his old happy self. Big hugs to you and Matt...it will get better and this will just be a distant memory.
ReplyDeletexoxo Cindy and John