Sunday, May 3, 2009

Family Day at CHOC...

Carter's gauze dressing

Adjusting Carter's mask

Our version of a CHOC picnic

Matt and Carter slept better last night. Carter’s rash has improved slightly, but is definitely still there. My sore throat is still lingering, so I went to the hospital this morning and told Matt it would probably be best if he stayed AGAIN at the hospital tonight. Needless to say, I told him to leave and take a break and come back later in the day. He was so excited to go home and see Bennett. They went out to lunch, then to Sports Chalet, hung around our house, and both took naps. When they woke up, they both came to visit us at the hospital. Carter was so excited to see his brother! They hadn’t seen each other for over a week, and Carter had never gone a day without seeing Bennett before. And Bennett couldn’t wait to see Carter too. The nurses thought Bennett visiting and a change of scenery might make Carter want to eat. So, the four of us took a blanket and went in front of the hospital to sit on some grass and eat snacks. I think the fresh air and having his big brother around was good for Carter. He did eat a little bit, and got up to try and chase Bennett around. He’s a little shaky on his feet, so it’s frustrating for him. Then, we went inside and were timing Bennett running down the hall of the oncology floor. Well, Carter wanted to do it too. It was the fastest we’ve seen him move in a long time! It was SO nice to have the four of us together again. It had been too long!


We believe Carter is definitely in pain after eating, and he is now correlating eating with this pain. Plus, the nurse said one of his chemo drugs makes everything taste like metal. So, that doesn’t help. Tomorrow will probably be the day the doctors will decide if Carter can eat on his own at home or if he needs to have a feeding tube in his nose. We dread the decision.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful for you all to be together again!. I'm saying daily prayers for: less pain, more eating, restful sleep, and ongoing strength.
    I know a lot of people have already said this, but please know that you have SO many people supporting you and praying for the quickest and least painful recovery possible for Carter.
    Carter, you have always been such a little tough guy. We are so proud of your continued strength, and are learning so much from you and your amazing parents....I just wish you didn't have to be the ones teaching us. Hang in there, and know that we love you so much.
    We had a blast playing with Benny on Saturday, but can't wait to have the whole gang back together. Mason kept asking, "Where Carter at?"
    Take care!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying the appetite returns quickly!! That the feeding tube will be unnecessary! Praise God Carter had a good visit with Bennett. Still keeping you all before God's throne. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that having his big brother there helped him feel somewhat normal again and sounds like it was so good for all of you! I hope the eating goes well and we'll keep sending our prayers!
    shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Davidson-CaeliusMay 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM

    You are one of the strongest families with amazing friends. You are always in my thoughts, but I know Carter will beat this. You two are fabulous parents and he has a wonderful big brother. Thank you for teaching us to hug and kiss our kids our million times a day, I am sorry you are the reason we have to be reminded, but thank you for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete