Dad reading Carter a book
Carter tired of walking the floor, ready to be held
Carter finally in Dad's armsCarter has cancer. We created this blog to keep everyone informed on the progress of Carter’s battle with liver cancer. However, we also are doing it because Carter (most likely) will not remember any of it. And we want him to look back and know that through the ups and downs of this ordeal, he succeeded.
The shock of the original diagnosis is wearing off and is slowly becoming a reality. Matt and I have talked about it, and are both experiencing the same feelings. In order to keep sane, we must leave the hospital every so often and venture out into the real world. Matt has been at the hospital day and night for the past several days, so I made him get out for a couple hours and take a break today (even for a short while). However, it’s so strange to be out places. You see people getting mad at missing out on a parking spot, or yelling at their children because they are taking too long to pick out something in the store. You just want to tell them your baby is battling liver cancer, and in the scheme of things (real life) it’s not that detrimental. I’ve also seen people excited as they head out for the beach or friends eating lunch together laughing, and I find myself yearning for the time when life didn’t seem so challenging. Then, I go back into the hospital room with Carter and it all comes into focus. He isn’t questioning any of it, he’s just fighting. This is his reality.
A friend of mine from college has a cousin who’s son battled hepatoblastoma. I got a chance to talk to her yesterday. It was so good to hear her story and the success in the end. Her son has his 5-year scan later this month, and then he will be considered cured. I cried while talking to her, because I’m so happy for them and so envious of where they are in this process. I can’t wait to get there. Yet, I want to enjoy these great and innocent years with the boys. My goal is to get through this treatment as quickly, painlessly and successfully as possible. Carter is being a champ and leading the way!
Before going to the hospital this morning, I ran around town getting goodies I thought Carter couldn’t turn down to eat. We had success with something…donuts! Carter ate six donut holes today. It was the only thing he ate all day, but it was something! Hopefully, tomorrow we’ll have better luck. Carter had his weekly chemo drug today and slept through most of it. Then, we gave him a bath and changed his Broviac dressing. He has developed a rash all over his chest area and a little on his arms. We don’t know if it’s a reaction to a drug, bandage, cleaning solution or maybe a heat rash. Luckily, it happened while we’re still in the hospital, so they can help monitor it. Finally, this afternoon we made him get out of bed for a while. We wanted him to walk around the floor, but he just wanted to be held by Dad. We did get him to walk a little, and he is walking on his toes quite a bit which is a rare side effect of one of the chemo drugs. Along with jaw pain, this weekly chemo drug causes joint pain in your ankles and feet. These are harsh drugs with harsh side effects, but they are killing off and shrinking something much worse.
** Special shout out to Eric Harvie and Nick Abramson (and of course, Katy and Kim). You guys are amazing for thinking of us like you did and we are so grateful. You really don’t know how much that meant to us!!!!
Also to Kim Krotts and Stasia Mitchell…when all else fails make sure you’re fed. Thank you both for helping keep our bellies filled!
Praise God on eating the doughnut holes! Something is better then nothing and like you said in a previous post...perhaps the chemo is affecting his taste buds. Will pray that gets corrected and he starts eating more normally. You have the doctor's diagnosis, but God has a different prognosis....by Jesus' stripes we are healed! That healing isn't just physical, it also involves spiritual & emotional healing as well. Carter you have been such a trouper and an inspiration to others! Keep on keeping on little one, keep fighting this the best way you can! I had a difficult day at work Friday, but in the grand scheme of things my day was just a speed bump compared to all your family is enduring. Praying God's abundant blessings of healing, health, joy & strength over each and everyone of you...but a double portion for Carter. Thank you for posting this blog, you don't know me or perhaps many people that pop in to read about the progress. But God is able to use this blog to get prayer coming before His throne for you and your family. Blessings & hugs from Indiana!
ReplyDeleteNothing like donut holes...yeah Carter! I have been thinking about all of you every single day and we say a special prayer for Carter every night. What you said in your update last night about seeing people getting upset/mad about the littlest things (i.e. missing a good parking spot) is so true. If only they could see that those things are NOTHING in the whole scheme of life. You can see that Carter is a strong little boy and he will make it through this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day and I hope you know how much love and support you have out there. My love to Carter and the whole family. xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteKara,
ReplyDeleteYour post is poignent. I would imagine that is exactly how one would feel venturing out of the hospital for a couple hours and seeing people as you described. It seems that people, in their day-to-day lives, have to work SO HARD to maintain the sharp focus on what is important in life like you and Matt have right now.
This will leave you changed, there's no doubt about that, and hopefully one of the blessings of it also will be a lasting understanding that love and family are not to be taken for granted.
Thank you for your insight.
-Joanna
Matt and Kara- We loved meeting "Grammy", Denny and your darling Bennett for dinner Friday night. He was so darling and well mannered. I am shocked he just turned 4 at the end of Feb...he is so smart and just a doll! I know he misses you guys but he is being well cared for by your Mom so you can focus on Carter and his recovery. I am so happy you are giving each other breaks from the hospital...being in the environment can make you go a little nuts so it is great to take a little break and breath some fresh air and feel the sunshine. You guys are amazing and we have lot's of people praying for your little guy. Eat Carter eat while the tumor shrinks!!!! Love you guys and big hugs! XOXO
ReplyDeleteCindy and John
That was a beautiful and well stated post. I caught myself today doing what you said. I was a Target and Emmy was taking a long time to pick out band aids and was telling her to hurry up. I am so sorry for what you are all going through. Carter has amazing strength and courage. I hope that he eats more donuts....and some good stuff too. You are in my families thoughts and prayers daily.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Brooke
Dear Kara,
ReplyDeleteWords cannot express how sorry I am about Carter's diagnosis. I just want you to know that I'm really praying for him, your family and his speedy recovery from all of this. I just started reading your blog and noticed you mentioned that he had a new rash. I would be more than happy to come by and check it out if it's still around. Let me know, I could come by after work tomorrow. My cell phone is 949 338 8930. Stay strong...lots of love, Leila
Kara, I felt a hint of the feelings you described the day Aleece and I dropped off Carter's Basket of LOVE. I looked around at the hospital and turned to Aleece and said..."It's so hard to imagine their life was same ol' same ol' just days ago, and now their life is CHOC 24/7. It has to be surreal for them to be here all the time, but also so hard to go home."
ReplyDeleteI will specifically pray this week for your stamina, patience, perspective, and focus as you fight this battle alongside your little trooper! I am so happy you and Matt have each other and are talking with each other about your feelings and thoughts through all this. I'm sure this can be a trying time on a marriage, but it sounds like you and Matt are just growing stronger!
We ran in the PCRF race this morning and did a special little shout-out for Carter. Megs and Mols raised $975!! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
XOXO
With your parent taking care of themselves and staying strong, we have no doubt that you will make it through this. Keep at it Carter and don't get bucked off.
ReplyDeleteHi guys,
ReplyDeleteYou have been given such a unique, tough challenge and I pray everyday that you can find a moment of peace in this tough road. We keep you in our prayers all the time. One day you guys WILL be those strong, wise parents life your friends, and will help another family through their battles with an AMAZING success story and a happy, healthy boy! Charlie sends his love to his buddy Carter!
You guys are doing such a great job. It is really inspiring to watch you handle this situation with such strength. We continue to pray for you and have you in our thoughts.
ReplyDeleteNikki and Jud Crary