Big stretch...
The start of Carter's experimentLast night Carter and I slept okay. It just isn’t the same as sleeping at home in your own bed, especially with someone coming in to check your vitals or your roommate’s throughout the night. And with all the fluids being run through Carter he requires a diaper change every couple hours too, which he hates when he’s tired (and I don’t blame him).
Carter still had the rash when he woke up, and he had been itching it through the night (which was a constant struggle with him and me). It was higher than it had been, and was under his chin as well. The doctor sent in an allergist to look at it today. He believes it’s something Carter is in contact with, and I’m starting to think maybe Carter is just allergic to the hospital! Needless to say, he wanted to do an experiment on Carter’s back with everything his chest comes in contact with (chloraprep, betadine, adhesive remover, termatag, biopatch…and the list goes on). Each spot is labeled, and Carter’s little back looks like a science experiment. The thought is if Carter has a reaction, we know what the problem is. However, Matt and I think sweat in relation to one of these may be a big factor too. And Carter just won’t experience that on his back as he has on his chest area. We’ll see how the next 48 hours go. I kind of felt some relief when I thought we had discovered it was the Bactrim drug he was taking.
Carter started his chemo drip this evening, and it will hopefully be done by 10:00pm so Matt and Carter can get a good night sleep. Mom gets to go home and see Bennett…yeah! He’s been saying he misses me, and I have missed him too. It’s hard for us all to be away from each other. I know Bennett probably can’t pinpoint it now, but I think it’s his little brother (who worships him) he truly misses.
We’re hopeful all will go well this weekend and told the oncologist today we’d like to go home on Sunday, instead of waiting until Monday. He didn’t think it would be a problem. Keep your fingers crossed!
Fingers and toes are crossed for all to go well so you can go home. You didn't mention the feeding tube so they must be pleased that he is eating and not going to make Carter deal with that...he has enough! Big hugs and let's hope the weekend goes by without any drama and you can be in your own bed Sunday night! XOXO Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteFrom my lips to God's waiting ears...let Carter improve and go home on Sunday! Also Father show the doctors exactly what is causing Carter's rash & discomfort. Thank you Father in advance for all you are doing in and through this family. May You bless them beyond their imaginations in Jesus' mighty name!
ReplyDelete