Carter and Mom playing it safeMatt had a pretty good night last night with Carter. He said Carter wasn’t waking up too much, and they have their nighttime routine down. I woke up with a slight sore throat and called my doctor and got a z-pack (like Matt had last week), and hopefully it won’t turn into anything. Needless to say, I had to go to the hospital. It had been too long away from Carter, but I did wear a mask and mostly kept my distance. Matt had taken Carter to the cafeteria for breakfast in hopes of him wanting to eat in a different environment, but it didn’t work. When I got there, they were playing in the Play Room. The nurses took Carter off his IV during the day hoping he will get hungry and thirsty on his own. So, I think he liked to play without a bunch of tubes and a pole following him. Then, we went back to the room and Carter ate 6 bites of bagel (which was a big deal!), and one and a half cups of yogurt. We thought we had turned a corner, but that was all he ate all day…and he didn’t drink anything. He’ll be back on his IV tonight to hydrate him. Carter will get his weekly chemo drug tomorrow. This is the one that causes jaw pain, but they have increased his pain med for that so we’re hoping it won’t be an issue again. Otherwise, his pain seems to be much better. Now, eating is still an issue. If Carter doesn’t start eating in the next couple days, they will insert a tube through his nose and we will have to hook him up at night to be fed. They will do this throughout the course of his treatment if he doesn’t eat on his own. We really don’t want Carter having to resort to this, and we know he won’t like it. Matt and I are hoping he starts eating, and we can go home!!
**Special note to Matt…I have always known you were an amazing father, but this year has shown me you are truly the best! While I was on bed rest during the first few months of this pregnancy, you really had to be Mr. Mom and carry a big load on your shoulders. And you haven’t had a break. The day I was officially taken off bed rest, was the day we found a mass in Carter’s abdomen. Now, through everything we are going through as a family, I can’t imagine anyone else by my side. You make us all strong and feel secure that everything will work out. Carter, Bennett and I love you SO much!...now, make your son eat!!
Carter's Everyday Heroes - Mom and Dad:
ReplyDeleteThere are no headlines for everyday heroes
there is no tickertape
no standing ovation
sometimes it's all they can do
to set their feet on the floor
in the morning
they go through their days
the best they know how
no rainbow need arch
through the sky
to inspire them
they have a special courage
shining deep inside
they go through their days
the best they know how
Ted Hibbard
You guys are all amazing! You are in our prayers every day.
ReplyDeleteWe will send all the hunger vibes we can your way!
Daralyn
Matt and Kara,
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking and praying for all of you since the night Carter was diagnosed. That said, I believe one of your friend's mantra was "shrink, shrink, shrink". My mantra is "shrink, eat, sleep, shrink, eat, sleep.
big love and hugs to all of you. Julie Weaver
There is nothing like a life-partner you can trust and lean on during times like this. I am incredibly happy you have this support, Kara.
ReplyDelete-Joanna
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI am a long time friend of Kathy's(well over 20 yrs.)and though we only communicate a few times a year I/we consider her one of our dearest and closest friends. I am writing to tell you how strong I found your blogs and what a beautiful family you have together Matt and Kara. I will pray and follow your updates until Carter is well. God Bless! We will be welcoming our second grandson in late August.He is quite a blessing for us with our youngest daughter miscarrying a set of twins first and then another baby last Fall. This will be her first child. Your journey is not over but we will be with you in prayer and spirit until all are healed. Love-Bob and Colette Schuehle