Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life is a Highway

Big brother squeeze

Carter's typical utensil collection

Carter vacuuming while waiting for his chemo

Carter had his outpatient chemo and lab work today at the Outpatient Infusion Center (OPI). We showed the two doctors at the clinic Carter’s rash, which has now spread under his arms, on his side and down his legs. The mystery continues as to what is causing it, however they were able to prescribe some medicine to help the itching. Just what we need, more meds! We can’t wait for the day when we can wean Carter off everything. Currently, he takes about 13 oral meds a day (some are the same meds, just 2-3 times a day). And of course, this doesn’t include the three chemo drugs and whatever else he gets when we’re in the hospital. No wonder the poor guy doesn’t feel like eating half the time.

The doctor said they will probably check Carter’s AFP levels next week at OPI. He also said they’ll want to do another CT scan before Carter goes back into the hospital in two weeks to begin Round 3. It will be interesting to see their findings and do a comparison from the first CT scan done at CHOC. The doctor thought Carter looked a little pale today, and said when they get the blood results he may need to come back in for a transfusion later today. We never heard from them though, so we’re assuming the levels were okay.

Carter is still such a trooper and so strong. On the way to OPI, he made me play over and over again in the car “Life Is a Highway” from the movie, Cars. It seemed so appropriate (and has been Carter’s favorite song since he was just over 1 years old)…

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long…

…Knock me down get back up again
You're in my blood
I'm not a lonely man
There's no load I can't hold
Road so rough this I know
I'll be there when the light comes in
Just tell 'em we're survivors!


And you are a survivor little man!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow that is amazing that he loves that song...he is such a trooper! I hope he is eating and if not load him up with the milkshakes! I know this seems like such a long road but you guys are making progress and I just know his count is going to be way down next week. You are Matt are heros to this little guy and all of us! Hang tight with your warrior family! Big hugs...
    XOXO Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carter - You always give us a smile!!!

    We all will be there when you reach the end of this "highway" with signs, banners, big hurrahs, and major drum rolls.

    Matt and Kara, your strength is unmeasurable!

    oxox Tink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is a highway, with its twists & turns, and unexpected traffic along the way. Carter picked a great song......my Kyle (grandson)also loves it! He is on his 3rd DVD, he has played it so much. The movie & music is an inspiration to the "little guys". Cruising through life is not as challenging as overcoming the unexpected. We, too, will be cheering Carter along his road to victory! Love, Cathy Sukiasian xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always anxious to read your blog each morning, hoping that you guys managed to spend an "almost normal" day together. Most of the time I'm left overwhelmed at the hurdles you've had to leap over, and wondering what I can do to make it easier. This post just breaks my heart....Carter, you have no idea how inspirational you are to those of us who love you so much. Stay strong....I can't wait for this long road to be over, so we can all celebrate your victory! Love to you and your amazing family too!!
    P.S. I forgot to applaud you on your expanding language skills - way to go - this speech therapist loves it!! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a survivor! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all an inspiration!!! What a great "theme" song! Like I've said before you all amaze me everyday!

    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, Don, Trevor and BrookeMay 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

    Wow. I am amazed by your strength. Carter will win this battle because of his drive and his families support.

    Trevor had a blood test today and I thought that was hard, I can not imagine what you, Carter and as a family are going through with the tests and meds and tubes. We will continue to pray for you and send out positive thoughts.
    Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete