Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dressing changes are miserable…

Grammy, Carter and Denny enjoying a great boat ride

Mom and Bennett smiling at sea

So, this morning Matt and I realized Carter had pulled a little on his Broviac line during the night and it was twisted under the Tegaderm (the adhesive cover over the site). We needed to do a dressing change in order to prevent any infections. Well, our once cool and calm spectator is no longer. Once again, this involved me practically pinning Carter down while Matt did the dressing change. Carter was screaming and crying, I was singing and cheering and Matt was just stressing to do it right. It’s definitely a hard way to start out the day. Needless to say, we got it done.

Carter and I took it easy at home all morning, while Bennett and Matt hit the pool for about three hours. Carter was such a fish last summer, and was so sad to not be going swimming today. I think that will be hard this summer, because I’m sure Bennett will want to be at the pool all the time. And Carter can’t swim with his central IV line.

We made up for it though…after the boys woke up from their naps this afternoon, we went on a boat ride out in the harbor with Grammy and Denny. It was a gorgeous day with tons of sailboats and people at the beach. This was the perfect outing for us, since we were outside and yet sheltered from the sun and being around other people. I’m sure the Duffy will get lots of use by us this summer!

4 comments:

  1. What a great picture of Grammy, Denny and Carter...the ocean air is good medicine for everything! Have a great day and let's hope there is lots of eating today! Big hugs to all the Kipps...xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you guys got to get some fresh air on the duffy ride! What a treat! I hope that the boys get to "captain" the duffy a lot this summer!

    Love,
    Courtney Norton

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT pictures! Wonderful idea about the Duffy cruise - I am sure everyone enjoyed that. What special time for the boys to spend with Grammy & Denny (we may steal that idea)!
    Carter and all Kipps are in our daily prayers.
    Love-Dan & Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Sooo wish that more of this could be easier for all of you! How difficult to know you have to change everything for his dressings and know it won't be fun for anyone. Also for Carter to not be able to swim will be difficult also, but it sounds like you found something super fun to do on the water this weekend. The boat sounds like sooo much fun and lucky you all have nice enough weather there to go often! What a fun adventure!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete