Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting in a routine at home again…

Carter and Bennett...Rock & Roll positions

It’s hard going back and forth from the hospital. Right when we felt like we were getting things down at home with our new routine, we were back in the hospital and everything was thrown off. Those of you that know me know what a scheduler I am. My kids have been on a schedule since day 1, and have slept through the night from about 5 weeks old as well. Well, there is no such thing as keeping your own schedule in the hospital. As hard as I may have tried at first, you must surrender. Now, we are just trying to get both boys sleeping in their own beds at decent times, and Carter needs to nap in his own bed again too. He’s had a really hard time falling asleep on his own, which was never a problem for him before. He ended up sleeping on Grammy at naptime today, after crying on and off in his crib for a while. Hopefully, after being home for a little bit, we’ll get back into the swing of things.

Carter was eating well today. We are sort of figuring out the right balance for him. He was irritable this morning and we gave him his pain meds, then he asked for quesadilla and guacamole, then he gagged when I put it in front of him, then we gave him his anti-nausea meds, and he finally ate. It’s a constant balance and staying on top of things, but it seems to work (most of the time). It’s just exhausting. I was packing Bennett’s lunch for preschool this morning, and Carter started yelling for a pb&j. So, that’s what he had for breakfast. Funny. And Carter is picking up this bad habit of wanting to sit on my lap when he eats. But, I surrender; it gets him to eat which is too important right now. I know, we’ll have lots of issues we’ll have to figure out once this little man is strong and cancer-free. For now, we are just taking it day by day and getting by.

Matt and I want to thank CC Knowles and Shannon Delucchi from the bottom of our hearts. They have put together a Carter Kipp Fight Fund. You have no idea how appreciative we are. The mounting hospital bills are a stress we can not even deal with right now. We just want to say thank you, and want you to know what special friends you are to us.

4 comments:

  1. Kara and Matt-Surrender is the right word...you have to but just for now. Things WILL get back to normal once this is behind you and it will be but just a memory (nightmare is more like it)! Love the picture of your guys being little boys...so darling. Please let us know where we can find the Carter fund so we can pass the word on to people. I am going to see Grammy later today...you are so lucky to have a Mom like her. Big hugs and have a calm, peaceful day. XOXO Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt and Kara - What a cute picture to start the morning. What a pair! Soooo good to see smiles and having fun.

    I know your organization so well, so your surrender is the right word for now. I just keep praying for a speedy healing for our little "hero".

    Love and hugs coming your way.

    Tink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the daily pictures of the boys always having fun. What a cute pair they are! And yes, please let us know where to find the Carter fund. I definitely want to get the word out. You guys are amazing parents! Keep staying strong and positive.

    Sarah Kane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo of the boys - as Bennett told me, 'we're going to be the Kipp Brothers' ;).

    If anyone is interested in contributing to Carter's Fight Fund, please email me at s_haugh@yahoo.com and I will send you the contribution form.

    Kar and Matt - if possible, can you guys also post the form on the blog? I want to ensure we have as much participation as possible! Thanks!

    XOXO -
    Shan

    ReplyDelete