Friday, May 8, 2009

Haircut day…

The brave big brother goes first!

Carter's turn...

The Three Muskateers!

Carter outside playing in the clubhouse

So, we didn’t know it would happen quite so quickly. Carter woke up around 5:45am this morning and was crying for me. I went in and there were clumps of hairs in his crib. I’m sure it was gradual through the night and so uncomfortable to be rubbing your face on. I went in our room with Carter and told Matt it was haircut day. After breakfast, Bennett, Carter and Matt shaved their heads! Bennett was so excited to be doing it, and Matt and I were so proud he was supporting his little brother. The whole experience was bittersweet. It was great for the three of them to be joined in this experience, yet so unfair it needs to be done in the first place. Children should not have cancer and should not have to undergo such debilitating treatments. Matt or I would trade places with Carter in an instant. Who’s to say we would be as strong and as resilient as he is though.

Matt and I have discovered it’s better to give Carter small meals or snacks throughout the day. I think this is probably more comfortable with his mass and stomach area, so as not to get too full at one time. You just have to constantly be creative in your suggestions for him to eat, because he will not suggest anything on his own. He did eat a little here and there throughout the day, but the big hit of the day was rice crispy treats. The doctors say the appetite really lessons right after chemo and picks up towards the end of the cycle. So, this is our “bulk up time” and those seem to be a good treat to help the cause.

7 comments:

  1. Loving Bennett getting his haircut first...what a special little guy. He gets his brave spirit from his Mom and Dad! Carter looks adorable with his summer buzz...I am thrilled to hear that he is eating and we are praying Eat and Shrink everyday! Big hugs to your wonderful family...XOXO Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a better looking group of guys - what hunks! We'll be thinking of you tonight and how proud we are to know you - C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon DelucchiMay 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM

    The 3 boys look so handsome and their new haircuts are so cute! What a strong big brother and amazing father - you guys are all so sweet to be in this together with Carter. Yeah for rice krispy treats, too!
    Love, Shan

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so cute! What a great big brother Bennett is and awesome Mom and Dad you both are! I am amazed with Carter's indefinite strength and yeah for rice krispy treats!
    Love, Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bennett you are being a wonderfully, brave and supportive big brother to Carter. Us adults can learn a lot from you...you are a pint sized example of Christ. May the Lord bless you richly Bennett for your love and support to your younger brother.

    Praise God Carter is eating....several small meals or snacks is much better then the regular 3...sounds like you found the right system. I will continue to pray Carter's appetite returns and he starts gaining the weight he lost. I will still continue to pray for his healing. Such precious children. Yes it seems unfair this has to happen to children, but look for God in the moment and midst of this. Sometimes it is a little child that God uses to show us the lessons He wants us to learn. Seek God in this moment.

    Carter may the Lord bless & keep you. May His glorious face shine upon you and give you peace. May the Lord open the windows of heaven and surround you with His ministering angels to sing songs of healing over and in you. You are such a sweet angel and such a courageous brave boy.

    Matt, what a wonderful father you are. Such caring and so loving. May the Lord bless & prosper you for all the sacrifices you have made for your family especially during this trying time. I believe God is granting you with greater patience and strength in this time to handle this and to help you bring your family through this. You bonded further as Father & Sons through this.

    God's Most Abundant Blessings be upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is so cute. I hope that you all getting lots of love. Happy Mother's Day Kara!
    Love, Brooke

    ReplyDelete