Monday, August 17, 2009

4 months since diagnosis!

Carter cruising his room

Carter using his peaches as a phone

Wow! For most people the past four months have probably flown by, but for our family it has been the longest four months of our lives. Honestly, Matt and I feel like we've been living in a time warp! Our lives have turned upside down, and our view of the world has changed forever. I no longer get a lump in my throat when I see a child with cancer. I look them straight in the eyes and smile because I KNOW they are the bravest people there are. And I look at their parents with the utmost respect because I know their journey and the battle they are enduring as well. One view has not changed through this process, we still believe children should not have cancer! But these children are incredible and could teach the rest of us so much about courage, tenacity, love, and strength. Hopefully, our battle with cancer has come to an end and we will get Carter through these last two rounds of chemo with flying colors. But one thing Matt and I hope we always hold close is the feeling that every moment is precious and as long as we have our family and friends, we know we can conquer anything.

Speaking of conquering something, Carter (and Mom) had a hard time sleeping last night. It took him a long time to settle in. Then, the nurse and the aide were in and out all night long (seemed like more often than usual). Right when I'd get Carter back to sleep, they would come in and he'd wake up and the process started all over. This went on constantly from 1-4:30am. Finally, I sent the aide away at 5am and told him to not come back for Carter's vitals again until 7am. Some night nurses and aides are very sensitive to the fact that people are sleeping in the room, and some seem to not even realize. Plus, Carter's anti-rejection drug was increased a bit which has given him difficulty falling asleep in the past. We're hopeful tonight will be different. Dad is home with Bennett and Mom is doing the second night in a row at the hospital. Wish us luck.

Carter had a great day though. Liver levels seem to be about the same, and his energy level is better every day. Matt and I got him out of bed and walking around the room a bit (still with assistance). All the doctors on the transplant team came by today and think he looks great. Many of the doctors mentioned the D word today (DISCHARGE)! It sounds like it may be a possibility by the end of the week. We had told ourselves it would be three weeks, and we'll just be pleasantly surprised if it is sooner. Obviously, it's a day to day process and they want to feel comfortable about us going home when we do go. We know from past hospital experience, Carter will eat more and recover faster at home so we are anxious too. Plus, it would be nice for the four of us to spend a little time together before we become a Party of Five!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my Carter looks fantastic! If his hair was in he would look like his old self. Amazing! I hope you can both sleep tonight...nothing is worse than just dozing off and then you are up again! You have been such a trooper Kara...your stamina and determination has been remarkable during this nightmare. I have a feeling this new little guy is going to be really easy. It will be your gift since you have all been through so much...just a mellow little baby that will roll with the Kipp clan. Night night and let's hope you can go home at the end of the week. Big hugs and lots of peaceful sleep. xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was driving to work I was praying to read another good report AND YOU GAVE IT TO US. Carter you continue to be such a brave boy and you give us smiles and laughter when we are taking deep breathes. I am loving to hear the "D" word spoken. Will keep my fingers crossed.

    Matt, when I read you and Carter dancing to rap music I smiled a huge grin thinking I wonder if Matt dances like his Dad. If so you better do alot of practicing and let Carter show you the moves.

    I love you guys so very very much.

    0x0x0x Auntie Tink

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote amazing words! I agree with you, cancer kids are so strong and can teach you so many things. Wishing you sleep and discharge from the hospital soon. We pray for Carter nightly and we look up to him for his strength and courage through this.
    Brooke and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so touched by your (all of you) journey. I get up every morning and the first thing I do is read this blog. I think about you all everyday and keep you in my prayers. You are all so strong and soon this will be a distant memory, but we have all learned lessons from this experience. I pray you all are home together soon! It is wonderful to see Carter smiling in these pictures.

    love,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grat job walking around Carter!! You are so strong! I wish that you were able to sleep better as I know that sleep is soooo important to having an enjoyable day following. Hopefully last night was sooo much better. I definitely agree that the littlest cancer patients are definitely the strongest and we have so much to learn and admire from them AND their families. We have also learned a lot from Carter and his strength and resilience....he is such an incredible role model with such an adorable smile!
    I hope you have a great day (and night).
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to see the smiles on Carter's face and to see him him up and walking around. He is just amazing and has made such progress since the transplant. I hope last night was better and that you were able to get some rest. We have learned so much from Carter and especially from both of you on how you have dealt with this entire journey. It definitely puts life into perspective and makes you realize what is truely important. Keep fighting, Carter - you are a superstar!
    XOXO,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRAISE GOD, PRAISE GOD, PRAISE GOD for Carter's progress. Praying he progresses well enough for him to go home and finish the re-cooperating! He looks great, glad to see his sense of humor is back and active...peaches for phones! Carter has taught me a lot about strength, perseverance etc. We adults get bogged down with the day to day living that we forget to live with child like faith, to persevere trusting our heavenly Father like we trusted our parents, we were taught independence to the extreme that we view our lives as "our lives" and we don't fully rely on God and be dependent upon Him and we find ourselves in a mess wondering how we got there. Thank you Kipps for this blog of love. It has been a rough journey, but I have learned somethings along the way with you. Many hugs, many more blessings! Keep us posted as to progress! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! Carter looks great, and like other say, I'll just keep focusing on some great nights and SLEEP! Wow, amazing that so soon after the Dr.s are talking discharge, what a blessing it would be.

    YAY for Carter--you are #1 and a true inspiration. We'll keep the prayers going!

    Kara,
    I love what you wrote about cancer kids, and that is an important lesson for all of us--thank you for sharing.

    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete