
It’s pretty amazing it’s been three weeks since Carter was literally given a gift of life. He is doing so great, and we do feel like we’re being given a fresh start. Carter is doing well at taking his many meds, and we can only hope that will continue through two rounds of chemo. Before his surgery, it was difficult to look too far into the future because we had so much to deal with in the present. Now, I feel like all I do is think about the future and how I can’t wait until November/December when chemo and all the symptoms will (hopefully) be behind us. We’re hopeful around that time maybe Carter will get his Broviac taken out, which will be life-changing (in a good way). And then in February, it will have been six months since Carter’s transplant and we should be weaning off some meds by then. It’s hard to not think about and how we hope that time comes soon. We are happy with where we are now though and what we have accomplished.
We keep waiting for Carter to have this increase in appetite, which often goes along with these steroids he’s on. No such luck though. We were hopeful he’d bulk up a bit before starting chemo, because we know how that affects his appetite. However, his appetite has remained the same. It’s sort of a hit or miss of what he’ll feel like eating at that particular moment. I guess we should just be grateful he’s eating. One side effect he has gotten from the steroids is mood swings. Matt and I like to lovingly refer to them as “roid rages”. Just what every parent wants, a two year old with drug-induced mood swings! Luckily, Carter is still at the age when he can be easily distracted. So, as he starts into his roid rage, I can start talking to him about something completely different and most of the time he just forgets about the fit he was having. It’s definitely a whole new element to this recovery process! We will not miss the Prednisone when that is weaned off Carter’s med list in several months.
Love the "roids" story...my Mom had some of that too when she was on prednisone. Carter hasn't gotten the round face but he does look so much healthier. He is such a miracle...medicine is truly amazing. Your updates are starting to feel like a normal family living their life and it is so comforting. I used to not be able to sleep until I read the latest drama...now I can wake up and pretty much know there hasn't been a life saving run to the hospital. Thank goodness things have calmed down just in time to ramp up for the new baby. It might be a crazy life buts it's YOUR life (circa Jon and Kate LOL) Enjoy your calm normal weekend. Break out the hummus! Big hugs and lot's of love...xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteI think the "roid" rages are part medicinal & part of just being 2. They don't call it the terrible twos for nothing. It's when he is learning limits....how far he can push you & Matt before being reined in. Kids go through phases and I will pray this phase will pass quickly and that any medicinal affects be relieved.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell but it looks like Carter is sporting some fuzz growing on his head. Is that hints of his hair coming back? I hope so...but in the interim he surely is looking good and healthy....like one happy go lucky little warrior. Keeping you & your family before God's throne of grace until and beyond the completion of Carter's healing. Many hugs!