Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pancake breakfast

No shortage of his sense of humor

Carter slept great last night, and is used to sleeping in his own bed again after just a couple nights at home. He was so excited to wake up and have pancakes this morning and is acting completely like his old self again. We were worried about his walking and mobility in the hospital just a few days before going home because he was requiring our assistance. He just seemed so weak and his balance wasn’t very good. But I’m happy to report he is walking all over our house on his own, and is gaining back his strength. After chemo is all said and done, we will definitely have to have Carter work with a physical therapist though. It’s just amazing to see the damage that has been done to his lower extremities. This is a little boy that could walk at 10 months old, and was crawling up the stairs well before that. It’s been a long time since Carter attempted to go up the stairs on his own, and when he did it was exhausting for him after a few steps.

I remember before Carter was born we were trying to get Bennett to be more independent because we knew he’d have to be once this new baby arrived (ie: going up and down the stairs without being carried). It’s hard to imagine now with Carter (although he and Baby Brother are the same age difference as he and Bennett) having him be as independent as I thought Bennett could be. In so many aspects he is mature beyond his young age of 2, and in so many others he requires so much assistance and care. Either way, three boys will be a juggling act. But they will bring us and (more importantly) each other, so much fun and laughter!

Matt and Bennett got to go to the beach today and play in the waves. Matt said Bennett has no fear and just runs at the waves and gets knocked down, laughing all the way. It seems like his brave little bro is wearing off on him! I can’t wait for next summer and to be able to have all the boys at the beach together!!

4 comments:

  1. So fun to hear that Carter is doing so well. Amazing the progress he has made in such a short time. There is no place like home and it sounds like he is one happy little guy...and of course it is wonderful for all of you to be together. Just good food and lots of rest for another couple of weeks before your new baby arrives...enjoy the peace! You are a tropper but it will all work out and before you know it this will be a distant memory. Big hugs to all the Kipps!
    xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how thrilled we are that you are at home together and settling in so well. We'll continue to send our love and prayers your way, with special thoughts for a quiet few weeks together before September 8. Then you'll have lots of eager helping hands to ease your transition!! Love you guys!!
    Xoxo,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that Carter will be back to his old self (mobility wise) in no time! Although it might be a little difficult to assist him and carry the baby, it will all work out and you'll be able to do everything your wondering about now. I'm so happy that Carter is sleeping well (and you both also) and that his sense of humor is shining again! The 3 boys are a gift to each other and will probably work together and help you out more than you might think (on most days anyway).
    Hope you have another great night,
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to comment for awhile. I found your blog on a friends page and have been following Carter's story for about a month now. I actually check it daily for updates and when I saw he got his liver transplant, I was very happy. I nanny for a 2 year old girl who is just a few months younger than Carter and I think of her every time I read about your incredibly brave son. He is such a fighter and Bennett is such an awesome brother.

    Keep on fighting!!!

    Suzie from Sacramento

    ReplyDelete