Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hair is growing in!

Kipp Boot Camp

Carter is doing great. His hair has grown about ¼ of an inch, and he has eyebrows and eyelashes growing in. His last chemo treatment was July 22, so we are assuming if he’s done with chemo mid-October he should have a little hair again by Christmas. In talking to our friend, Allyson, who is going through chemo for breast cancer, she said it was pretty uncomfortable when her hair fell out. We’re hoping Carter won’t have to experience this feeling again in another three weeks, when it will most likely fall out. But, at least this will be the last time he’ll have to go through it. His face has also filled in a little, so I can see his dimple in his cheek again! It’s crazy though. He went from a chunky little toddler, to a long and lean little boy overnight. It makes me sad to think his chunky toddler phase is over, but I have to remember some of that “chunk” was a huge malignant tumor growing in his tummy. I think I’ll take the lean little boy with “roid rages” and all any day! He is still the sweetest little thing, but the steroids definitely shine through every so often…or the fact that he’s 2!

The oral meds post-transplant haven’t been as challenging as we thought they might be. Carter has been great about taking them. In the hospital we realized some were awful in liquid form, so we had them change the prescription to pills and we crush them and add strawberry syrup. This seems to work. Then, they added this huge oral med two times a day on Friday. Carter almost threw up after taking it. It’s a lot of medicine and it smells and tastes very medicinal. We are now mixing this with strawberry syrup too, which makes it an even larger med. Carter has been a little better with it though. We will definitely have to look into whether or not this comes in pill form as well.

Matt and Bennett were deciding today if they should go to the pool or the beach. THANK GOD they chose the beach. Apparently, there was a little boy with chicken pox at our neighborhood pool. That’s all we need is Bennett getting exposed to chicken pox and bringing it home! In our liver transplant manual it states that we are to call UCLA and alert them if Carter’s siblings or anyone he has been in contact with is exposed to chicken pox. This can be a very serious situation for a transplant recipient, especially because Carter was too young to have received his vaccine when he was diagnosed with cancer and began chemo treatments. Looks like they’ll steer clear of the pool and some of the kids in the neighborhood for a couple weeks!

Think good thoughts for 5 month old Seth, as he gets a liver transplant while I am writing this blog tonight. Fortunately, we know he is in the best hands. Our thoughts are with his family.

4 comments:

  1. Phew - glad the beach was the activity of the day and not the pool! And what a relief that the post-transplant meds are all working well and going down with strawberry syrup :)
    Carter is doing my kind of push-ups...love the pic of the boys today!
    XOXO,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! The boys doing push ups with Dad! I thought it looked like fuzz developing on Carter's head....just remember that when the chemo is done and his hair comes back in it will be like duck fuzz...soft and baby fine. So glad to see and hear Carter is progressing nicely. Still keeping ya'll before God's throne of grace. CWL looks forward to all the updates. We will of course be praying for Seth and his speedy recovery. Feel free to email me more for our list (thegodcatcher@hotmail.com). Many hugs & many more blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great pic of boys being boys, I love it!
    Definitely have added little Seth to my prayers, and I agree with others, it's so wonderful that you can already serve as a resource and provide hope for other families going through such struggles. We continue to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers, and I hope you're feeling ok! You haven't mentioned it, but I think you're about a week away from baby boy #3 coming, right? We'll keep prayers and good thoughts going for the next big change as he comes along!

    ITB,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara, thanks for mentioning Seth. Unfortunately, the surgery was first delayed until 11:00 pm and then canceled. :-( I think the liver was too big for his little body but they weren't sure until it arrived at UCLA (two hours later than scheduled). So now they are waiting again. I know that you know very well what that is like.
    So is he the one whose parents you talked to?
    I love the picture of your boys!
    Many blessings,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete