Carter's self-portraitWhen Carter was diagnosed in April, Matt and I immediately went into research and survival mode. Initially, we spoke with other families whose children had cancer and were treated at CHOC. We were able to learn from them and get their perspective on having a child with cancer. As we moved along in the process, it was then great to talk to a couple families with children who were diagnosed with hepatoblastoma. Since it is a rare disease, we only had an opportunity to get in touch with a few people initially. It was still encouraging and comforting hearing other’s stories. We can learn so much from one another. Then, as we went down the path of Carter getting a liver transplant, it was so helpful to talk to other people and families that have been through it as well…and at UCLA. I think all of this is so important in one’s own research. And many of these people have been instrumental in helping Matt and I cope, learn and hope through this journey. Thank you.
Coincidentally, we were contacted by two different families today. One family has a son waiting for a liver transplant at UCLA. And the other family has a son who was diagnosed with hepatoblastoma and just finished his second round of chemo at CHOC. It’s great for Matt and me to talk to these parents and give our perspective. We know how invaluable it was for us and how many of these families we reached out to with questions had found peace in where they were in the process. Matt and I can only hope to “pay-it-forward” in a sense and that other families find comfort in our state of mind at this time. After hearing both families’ stories today, we have no doubt their sons will be past this and have bright futures ahead. Our hearts ache for them as they go through the journey though, as we know it all too well. It is nice to be at the point where we feel like we have come so far, and for a purpose too…they also will feel this way sometime soon!
What a lovely post...you have helped so many people already and I have no doubt this experience and your beautiful writing skills will turn into a calling for you for the rest of your life. You have such a gift, I just know all of your knowledge and compassion will go on helping others while you raise your darling boys. Enjoy another day in glorious Southern California while your little man continues to heal...it's a good life! Big hugs xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful place to be! You have to opportunity to be such an inspiration and resource for others! Its so nice to see that this journey has come to such a positive place.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are a fantastic resource for other families who are unfortulately experiencing this horrific disease, but you have so much insight to offer them. As hard and horrible as it is to be in this situation, it probably helps you to know you can help others as families have done for you too. It's part of healing and gaining strength I guess and look how far you've come!!! It is such a blessing to be on the other side of the transplant proccess and moving forward to the future. Hopefully, all these families you have talked to and are talking to will some time meet down the road to share stories of the successful futures these now young children will experience. You guys are incredible and we are still sending our prayers to you all!
ReplyDeleteLove,
shelley H.
How wonderful that you are already able to help other families...you guys will be great support for many others having to go through this with their children. Carter continues to look great and hope you have enjoyed your weekend.
ReplyDeleteLots of love,
Shan
I found your blog through Allyson and Brooke. After reading this post, I wonder if the first people you mentioned are my friends. My friend's son, Seth, has been at UCLA waiting for a liver transplant - and he is getting one right now! His surgery was to begin at 9:00 pm today. He is five months old, born on the exact same day as my third baby.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just wanted to say that since I found your blog, I've been praying for Carter and following his progress. I am so glad to hear that you are now able to be a resource and encouragement for other families.
Blessings,
Anna