Boys loving Denny's new '55 Bel Air
Carter was fast asleep when I went back upstairs last night and he slept great the rest of the night. He is slowly shedding the Steri-Strips from his surgery incision. The doctors had told us they’ll just kind of curl off on their own 2-3 weeks post-transplant. We removed his two bandages that covered his drainage spots on either side of him, and they looked good. A surgery mishap I had forgotten to mention was that Carter got a bad Betadine burn in his armpit from surgery. I had been given advice from another mom whose daughter had a liver transplant at UCLA five years ago. She told me weeks ago that after surgery we should have the nurses check Carter’s back for any pooling of the Betadine (which they use to clean the patient’s whole body prior to surgery). Her daughter’s went unnoticed for days and resulted in a terrible burn. So, right when we got to the ICU after surgery Matt and I had the nurses wipe down Carter's back and groin area. Well, the next day we noticed Carter’s armpit was very red. And within a couple hours after noticing it, it began to blister and look awful. They had been treating it in the hospital with this gel bandage, and sent us home with some more to use. Matt and I felt like it had gotten to the point when it just needed air and would heal. We’re so glad we decided on that, it looks 100% better in a day. Slowly, but surely, the exterior of Carter’s body is healing from his surgery. He does have pretty bad bruising around the incision area that the doctors had told us was normal. Hopefully, the interior of this body is healing just as fast, or faster!
We are trying to get Carter to consume more fluids since the doctor said he was dehydrated yesterday. I gave each of the boys a water bottle to drink out of during lunch. Carter thinks it’s such a treat because he is usually drinking out of his sippy cup. And sure enough, he was drinking more…for a while. I ran to change the load of laundry while they were eating and came back to Carter saying, “I’m so hot.” Our air conditioning was on and it was not hot in our house. He had dumped the water bottle on his head and was squeezing it. Water was everywhere. Obviously, he’s seen his brother and his Dad doing this. I had to sort of chuckle when I called Matt at the office and told him he needed to come home for a Broviac dressing change, Carter’s shirt was soaked. Matt laughed too, and was home 15 minutes later.
Bennett and Carter had a great time playing together today. I love seeing them interact. Carter thinks Bennett is the greatest thing on earth, and Bennett loves that he thinks it. In two weeks, Carter will be back in the hospital for four days having chemo and when he gets home this new baby will be living with us. A few days after that, Bennett starts school. So, it’s nice for them to have this down-time right now when things just seem as normal as they could.
I really can't get over how good Carter looks. If he had hair he would almost look like his old self...amazing! You sound like a normal family winding down from summer before school starts and all the fall activities. Who would believe the whirlwind you have been through over the last 5 months. You are living with a little miracle and it is so inspiring. Just enjoy all the non events of two little brothers playing together. What a blessing! Big hugs and have a restful evening. xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine posted this blog on facebook and I've been reading it daily ever since. I've been praying for Carter and your entire family everynight. Carter looks so much like my 17 month old so his story has really hit home. I'm glad that so far things are looking good. Good luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteKara - I feel like you and Matt have gone to medical school these last 5 months and passed with flying colors. Your judgement is always "right on". So glad to see the boys have lots of fun together and Carter looking so good!
ReplyDeleteYou still haven't let us know what the new baby boys name is?
Praying for another awesome day for you all.
oxoxo Auntie Tink
Its nice to read that Carter and the whole family is doing so well! I love the story a bout him being hot and dumping the water bottle. . . so cute!
ReplyDeleteHere's to another great day!
Gina
Its so great to hear that you are able to have a bit of normalcy right now...hope it continues for the next 2 weeks. Carter looks fantastic...love the water bottle episode...too cute!
ReplyDeleteXOXOXO,
Shan