Monday, August 24, 2009

Master Manipulator

Who me?

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon about Carter going to sleep in his own bed. He does great once he falls asleep, it’s the getting to sleep that’s the problem. Every time I put him to bed at night or during his nap, I think about Bennett’s swim instructor when he was 2 years old. His name is Tom and he’s 80-something and has been teaching little ones water safety forever. He also has some great parenting advice along the way. The first two days of his two week consecutive lesson, Bennett would cry non-stop through the whole lesson. Tom would say by day 3 he’d love it and wouldn’t cry…as he would say about every child. And it was always true. He’d tell me how kids become master manipulators at young ages, and he wouldn’t allow the parents to cave in to their children crying on those first two days. It was always hard, but always worked. Well, Carter has me sing and scratch his back, put the blanket on, take the pillow away, take the blanket off, stop scratching his back, put the pillow back, start scratching his back, stop singing…this goes on for 20-60 minutes. It seems like it’s getting longer and longer. I’m trying to be patient and work with him. He has (had) cancer and just had a liver transplant!! But I can only do so much. We increased his anti-rejection drug tonight (per the doctor), and we know from the past this can affect him falling asleep. As I’m writing this though, he has yet to settle down. It’s been 65 minutes. No fun!

On a good note, we went to UCLA bright and early this morning. Carter can’t eat breakfast before his lab draw, so we got there right at 8:00am. They drew his blood and we went to the hospital cafeteria to have breakfast and wait for lab results. Our transplant coordinator called us at 10:30ish and told us we were free to go home! Carter’s liver levels were about the same as Friday, which is good. His Prograf (anti-rejection drug) level was a little low, hence the increase tonight. Otherwise, all his numbers looked really good. It showed him being a little dehydrated, so we are pushing the water as much as possible. Unfortunately, neither of the boys are big juice drinkers. So, I can’t entice him with that. I’m encouraging lots of fruit and had him eat some watermelon for dinner. We’ll be back up there on Thursday to check levels again.

Okay, it is quiet. I’m going to check on the little man, but I think he is finally fast asleep. Do I dare put his blanket back on?!

5 comments:

  1. Kara that picture is so beautiful...Carter looks realy healthy and happy! Kids always manipulate their parents, you know that. One day my grandson was acting so bratty with his Mom while they were staying with us. I asked him why he was acting like that since he never acted like that with me. He put his hand on his hip and said this is how I act with my Mom. I thought that was so funny but very true. Kids know they have their Mommies whipped so Kara toughen up with Mr.Carter. He doesn't have cancer anymore and you have a new baby that will be starting his burp me, feed me, hold me, change me routine. But Carters big blue eyes are going to melt alot of hearts and he will probably always manipulate women by being so adorable...LOL! Enjoy the time with your little guys because before you know it they will be in high school! Big hugs to all the Kipps...so thrilled Carter is doing so well. It's a good life! xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a 2 year old is a 2 year old and we are right there with youonh the manipulation. It's funny that after recently having a liver transplant, he is already mastering the manipulation quickly. Kids are smart and very good at it and I am always late to catch on with Megan. That is funny and I'm sure that if you stay tough he'll remember the rules. He's obviously feeling much better which is fantastic!! Good luck with everything and stay strong (as I try to do also)!
    Have a great day and glad to hear everything went well with the blood draw!!!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So love the pic...he looks so healthy and so smart! He will soon be the middle little guy and he will always carve out his own place!
    We once used a cute timer and that helped with bedtime...I am sure you can believe that the latest info says parents make 200 decisions a day concerning their kids...wait maybe that's not news you want! You and Matt are such wonderful parents.
    xoxo
    Jan and Jack Ashby

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny because my husband John I were JUST talking about this very same topic on Saturday as we drove to San Francisco for the day. And here you are...posting about it! I was updating John on Carter's current status and brought up the fact that it would be so difficult to go back to the pre-cancer parenting techniques...knowing that in the back of your mind your precious little baby has just undergone a liver transplant and a battle with cancer. Candy before bedtime...sure! Another toy...fine! A 60-minute back scratch..oh, what the heck! I was telling John that it would be so hard to draw the line with what is acceptable and what is not. I can see the guilt always getting the best of me in your situation. But any expert would say that is a complete wrong way of thinking. Otherwise, you will become the child and Carter the parent! But...**sigh**...my soft side says Carter deserves at least one more week of back scratching, pillow moving and blanket adjusting. In the big picture, it's not too much to ask. xoxo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "manipulator thing" is GOOD NEWS for now, as that means he is feeling so much better and that is even BETTER NEWS. Carter you look so great!! Big hugs to 2 wonderful parents too.

    Tink

    ReplyDelete