Monday, June 15, 2009

Aloha?!

Carter not that thrilled about pictures today

Well, today is a hard day for me. The four of us were supposed to leave this morning for Maui. This was a long-overdue and well-deserved family vacation. After everything Matt and I have been through the past two years, we were so excited to go there as a family before baby was born. We sold our house in February and were looking forward to a fresh start, little did we know our bad fortune was about to multiply. And we had NO idea how it would forever change our world. I’m certain in years to come we’ll look back at this time and be grateful to have the opportunity to experience and grow through this, but it is a hard concept to grasp in the present. Carter now looks sick, acts sick and is sick. He seems more fragile as the days go on and we are SO anxious for this to pass. It kills us to see him having to go through this! Matt and I have shed many tears in the past 5 days.

We asked the oncologist if the chemo drugs Carter is on are cumulative in his system. He said they all affect each person differently, but they believe the drugs run their course through the 21 day cycle and shouldn’t be cumulative. Well, we have to believe right now they are. Carter seems so wiped out from this past treatment, it makes us scared and nervous for the three remaining rounds. We know we are close to the finish line and Carter being cancer-free though!

Carter didn’t eat much throughout the day, and then we had chicken, pita and hummus for dinner (one of his favorites). Matt and I were so happy he was eating. We gave him his anti-nausea drug about 30-40 minutes before we gave him his nighttime meds, and up came everything…all over his pjs and mom. He is so much more nauseated than past rounds. We’re going to call the clinic tomorrow and ask about a different anti-nausea med. We have to do something to get this guy to eat and keep down his medications.

Grammy is coming over tomorrow, and Mom can’t wait to get out of the house. I haven’t left the house since we came home from the hospital on Thursday. I have never looked so forward to going to the bank and running errands!

7 comments:

  1. Oh Kara you have been so strong...we all thought about you today at our lunch and everyone said they would keep Carter in their prayers. I am praying all the time and I know you and Matt are scared. I hope you can get Carter on another drug so he can get some food down and keep it down. Hang on...enjoy some fresh air tomorrow and Grammy will rock your little guy and make it better. Carter will be his chubby self again and once you get the results from the other tests I just know you are going to get good news and it will make this a little easier. Hang on...you are one tough gal! I wish I could make this all go away but remember we are with you in spirit and it will get better. Big hugs...xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodmorning you all - I read your blog this morning and can only say to you both "Look how much you have accomplished and the headway you guys are making" No one can walk in your shoes to really know this burden, but looking through this window at you, you have made huge leaps with this cancer and it is paying off. I pray today that the Lord give you all a day filled with joy and comfort. May all the love from your family and friends pour into your hearts and lift you up.

    Love to this team of Kipps

    Auntie Tink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara,
    I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this...I'm sure you are sick of hearing those words! I can only imagine how dissapointing it must be to be missing your "relaxing, easy" not only vacation, but life sometimes! I wish that I had great words of wisdom to make this any easier, but all I can say is make sure to let the tears flow when they need to. I hope that you get some peace running your errands today. I'm sending BIG prayers for carter to feel better and for god to ease some of this load this week for you guys and bring some joy in this tough week.

    Love to you all,
    Courtney Norton

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just shed some tears after reading your post. That Maui vacation will be even more fantastic when you finally get there, and you all will, just plus one more! You guys are so strong. We are touched by your strength every night as we say our prayers, thinking of you guys and the struggle of each day getting Carter well. Enjoy your trip to the bank today, take in big sniffs of fresh air.

    Sending you lots of love and healing.

    Daralyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Carter gets through this round and can keep some food down. Looking forward to his body finding renewed strength through all this weakness. You guys are doing a wonderful job and thanks for the Bennett stories - he makes me laugh out loud, what a special big brother! Big hugs and kisses to you! We love you Carter!
    ~The Clearys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to church tonight and give my usual update. We will pray for Carter & this nausea but also for the family as a whole. Grab a hold of Jesus and hang on honey. I can only imagine all that you go through and am praying for the completion of Carter's healing. It is already done in heaven and just needs to be finished in his earthen body. Praying, dancing, praising before the throne of God for you all. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you guys must be so exhausted. I wish we could help, but I know the germ factor is an issue. If you ever want us to take Bennett to play with Matt and Trevor, let us know.

    We are praying for you, and as my opinion goes, Carter, doesn't look sick, he just looks like he has lost weight. He still looks strong from an outsider opinion, and we all know he is strong. Pleas use all of us around you as much as you can so you can feel strong as well. We are here for you on any Bennett call needs.xo Andrea

    ReplyDelete