There's the smile we've been missing!Well, it was a rough night and Carter was very restless most of the night. Mom was hoping this wouldn’t mean we had a rough day ahead as well. The nurses started his TPN (IV nutrients) around midnight, so the hope is to “beef up” Carter over the next few days. At diagnosis, Carter weighed over 30 lbs and now he weighs over 23 lbs. This is too dramatic on such a little kid.
The morning started out okay. We found out a new oncologist was doing rounds, which meant we’d have to go over our concerns relating to Carter all over again. This would be doctor #4 this week we would get to explain to that we aren’t leaving the hospital until we have a new anti-nausea drug that works for Carter. The nurse came in and said they did rounds with the doctor, and we are changing a couple other meds…but no mention of the anti-nausea. In the meantime, every time we open a food tray for Carter to eat he gags at the site of anything. It is a nausea issue.
Around 1:00pm, we started to make a turn for the better. Carter and Mom were lying in the bed watching TV and I offered him pretzels. He seemed reluctant, but didn’t say “no” so I opened them up. A few minutes later he started eating them. And about 15 minutes later, Carter put his index finger through the pretzel and turned to me bending his finger in a deep voice and said, “Hi Mama!” He was pretending the pretzel was a puppet. After shedding tears on and off all morning, I began to laugh. And my little boy laughed too. Grammy arrived with lunch (and I’m sure to make sure Mom was okay), and Carter got more animated throughout the afternoon. He ate a few bites of pears and some Cheerios too. And he even took a few sips of water, which has been a big issue as well.
Mom went out of the room to get some pillows from the linen closet on the oncology floor. As I was going back into the room, I saw this dad we met the day we got Carter’s pathology report back confirming hepatoblastoma. His son is about 5 months younger than Carter and has hepatoblastoma as well. Matt and I couldn’t believe the coincidence, and they exchanged contact information. His son’s case seemed more serious to us at the time, and they had already consulted with the liver transplant team at UCLA. Well, I stood in the hall talking to the father for a while. His son is having his sixth and final round of chemo. He didn’t end up needing a liver transplant after all; the chemo shrank the tumor enough to do resection surgery. He was so grateful to the surgeon at CHOC and said he saved his son’s life. We both cried together and I was honestly SO happy and relieved for them. I know how hard this journey is, and they are almost done. I came back into the room with a sense of relief and a whole new outlook. Carter is going to be fine. I got too caught up in the frustration of the journey, and lost sight of the ultimate goal. Yes, it’s a tough road that no one should have to go through, but we will conquer this soon! The Kipp Crew is optimistic and hopeful again!
The oncologist came in and gave me a hug. She must have heard Carter Kipp’s Mom was loosing it! We are going to try a new anti-nausea drug tonight or tomorrow. They plan on having Carter stay through the weekend, and we may end up going home with the TPN nutrients. Whatever makes this vicious cycle of nausea/vomiting/not eating/loosing weight stop.
Bennett and Dad came to visit and Carter was playing and laughing with Bennett. Matt couldn’t believe the change in Carter from yesterday. It was a glimpse of our Carter again. Mom got to go home with Bennett and Dad is staying the night with Carter. Hopefully, he’ll continue to make improvements slowly but surely.
Can we hear an oh yeah! Thank you Jesus the Kipp family has a smiling Carter back. A little food, some drugs and a lot of patience did the trick! This has been a rough week but as usual you have hung tough and your little guy has made some improvement. It is hard not to get caught up in the day to day drama when you see your child suffering. What a wonderful suprise to run into the family that is going through your same nightmare...and with fantastic results. The prayers and medicine are working...stay strong! Big hugs and my wish is you get a great nights sleep. You deserve it! xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteThere's the smile! We are praying for lots more. Sending a big hug to you guys. Daralyn
ReplyDeleteWHAT A BEAUTIFUL SMILE!! Champ Carter is back...a little more fuel, less nausea & he's on the road again. Also, seeing new doctors can be a good thing. They may have a different insight into some of Carter's issues. Thank you again for keeping up this wonderful website.....it's a great diary of Carter's progress. Love, Cathy Sukiasian
ReplyDeleteThat's the BEST smile EVER!!!! thinking about you all every day!
ReplyDeletexoxo The Schoutens
We'll keep praying for more smiles and more eating! Yay!!!
ReplyDeleteJenny (Wells) Mavros & family
I am so happy to read that there has finally been some improvement and his smile is back!!!! Yeah!!! He will beat this soon enough and hopefully this rough patch is over. I have been praying for you all and thinking of you constantly however haven't been able to check my email for a few days as we've been gone, but I am able to now. I hope to see even more improvement from today (Saturday) and can't wait for him to get rid of this horrible illness. You guys are doing a fantastic job taking care of him and I am glad that your family is there to take care of you. We love you!
ReplyDeleteShelley H.
Praise God, Praise God, Praise God that Carter is starting to resemble his ole self again! Thank you Father!!! I am do glad things are on the upswing towards the finish line! Hallelujah! Praying strength for all of you, I can only imagine from this end of the net the road you all have been and what an emotional roller coaster has been.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kara for that thought "I got too caught up in the frustration of the journey, and lost sight of the ultimate goal." Although my own personal journey is NO where near as hard as your's this one thought spoke volumes to me of where I am spiritually...God has used you to help me get refocused and regrouped, I only hope I can repay the kindness in spades as my Granny would say. Keep on hanging on dear Kipps....you are on the tail end of this journey in the mighty name of Jesus....just hang on, and stay focused on the goal set before Jesus at Calvary. He conquered sickness on that cross, so hang on. Many hugs!