Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dr. Dad?!

Everybody say, "Infectious Disease!"

So, since Carter's diagnosis 63 days ago, we have spent 32 of those days in the hospital. That is miserable. No wonder we are getting so well-versed at the hospital that one of the nurses asked if Matt was a physician.

Late last night we got one test result back saying that Carter has para influenza-3. This is a respiratory virus and potentially contagious (see the above picture with protective suits). We have a hard time believing this alone would affect Carter like it has, and are wondering if something else is going on too. After two breathing treatments and cool mist on his face (and Mom's) all night, his cough has gotten better and loosened up a bit though.

Today we went ahead with Carter's weekly chemo drug. And they also began giving Carter nutrients via his IV because he hasn't really eaten for a week. When he did try and eat at home, he was vomiting it all up and he's not even trying to eat in the hospital. This TPN treatment may be something they send Matt and I home to do with Carter. It is basically hooking his IV up to a drip throughout the night. We'll see how that goes, but we do want him to be getting more nutrition.

The doctor mentioned something about us going home tomorrow. We really love being home, but want to make sure Carter is well enough. The last thing we want to do is turn around and come back before Round 4 begins. We can't wait for Carter's spirit and sunshine smile to lead our way again! We're hopeful he'll feel better in no time!

5 comments:

  1. Of course they thought Matt was a doctor! Hoping you guys are well enough to go home and enjoy the weekend. We are praying that Carter gets back to his old self once this flu is gone. Sending lots of love, Daralyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you good thoughts! You are an amazing family with beautiful strength.
    Love,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief...how does a little guy not exposed to anyone get a flu bug and the rest of the family is healthy? I am praying you can escape the hospital and get home today...your own bed and some room to play is always a good thing. Matt and Kara you are so amazing...no matter what is thrown at you there is usually a poistive spin or a funny story. Let's all pray for the flu to go away!!!! Big hugs...xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God the doctors were able to diagnose what was going on with Carter. I speak to that virus leave Carters body immediately in Jesus' mighty name. I speak to Carter's immune system to be fruitful and multiply back to healthy normal levels in the mighty name of Jesus. Holy Spirit pour out Your horn of healing oil over, into and through Carter. Saturate every healthy cell with Your healing oil and make Carter impervious to any further viruses and bugs in the mighty name of Jesus. Make Carter's earthen body as healthy as his spiritual body in the mighty name of Jesus. I pray a Jesus' blood over this family's health, finances, strength, joy, etc. in the mighty name of Jesus. Many gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, you don't know me but I am so touched by your family and what you are going through. I have three children one of them being a 15 month old and I can't imagine what you must be going through. A parents worst nightmare truly. I can relate on a small level as our daughter was the victim of a crime 2 1/2 years ago and it was extremely shocking and our life took a completely different turn. I remember feeling like all of a sudden we were part of this awful sorority and not part of the real world anymore. You probably have wondered what you worried about before 63 days ago. How frivelous it all seems now I am sure. I just want you to know that our family is really praying for you (we really are) and we think you are so courageous!!! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete