Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Can an ANC go any lower?!

"Hi Mama" says the pretzel (or Carter the ventriloquist)

While we're in the hospital, they draw Carter's blood at 4am. This way when we wake up and get a chance to talk to the nurse or doctor we know where we stand for the day. Yesterday we mentioned Carter's ANC was very low (93), so the doctors weren't letting us go anywhere. Well, today it's 0. The good news is it can't go any lower! Hopefully, it won't take too long to go back up. It's scary when it's this low and Carter's body has no way to fight off any infection. He had a fever again today, but this may be due to his counts being so low. So far, his blood cultures are negative, which is good.

In order to make sure Carter hasn't developed pneumonia, he had another chest x-ray this afternoon. Luckily, Grammy was here to relieve me for a couple hours and she was able to go into the x-ray room with Carter (unlike pregnant Mom). We'll find out results tomorrow. Also, the doctors finally began to notice what we mentioned to them three weeks ago, that Carter eyelids have started to droop. They had an optimologist come in and evaluate him today. Carter did not like the drops or the exam at all. I tried telling him he's been through much worse, but it's hard to reason with a 2 year old. And the doctor concluded, it is just droopy eyelids. This is a rare side effect of one of the chemo drugs, and we had read about this. The doctor said it usually goes away after treatment.

Our hope is that Carter's ANC goes back up dramatically tomorrow and Thursday, and he remains fever-free. Then, there is a possibility we can go home Thursday afternoon. This would allow us to make our MRI appointment at UCLA on Friday morning at 6am. We don't look forward to putting Carter through this ordeal again, but this could be the scan that allows the surgeons to make the decision if Carter will have a resection surgery or if we have to do a transplant. The doctor today said if Carter can just have surgery, the surgeon just might decide to do it next week. This is all being very hopeful, but we are optimistic people! Otherwise, Carter would start Round 4 the following week and we'd have to wait to scan again. We're really hoping for the best on all ends!!!

4 comments:

  1. What a stinkin' cutie pie Carter is! He just puts a smile on my face...such a sweetie!! I pray for all of you regularly but i will be praying especially this week for healing for little Carter, for his counts to go back up, for strength and rest for mommy and daddy and that he will be able to make his scan on friday! You guys are amazing and your strength through this is incredibly inspiring. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go away fever and up those ANC numbers! We'll keep focused on that for the week, and just continued strength and perseverance for Mom & Dad.

    ITB-
    Jenny Mavros

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see Carter smiling...I especially love the finger puppet pretzel! What great news that the doctors might be able to do the surgery as early as next week - we will all pray for that!
    Keep fighting, Carter and hope your counts go up today.
    Hang in there, Kar and Matt...you guys continue to amaze me.
    XOXO,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so am hoping his ANC level will go up and that you can make it to UCLA to see what your next plan will be. The witing is so frustrating, but you are all troopers and are doing so well getting through everything one day at a time. We'll keep sending those prayers...
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete