Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What happened to our great sleeper?

Two funny characters

Carter woke up at 2:45am this morning again. Matt went into his room this time, and scratched his back and stayed with him until he fell asleep an hour later. Just as Matt was falling back to sleep in our room, Carter woke up screaming again. Being the amazing Dad that he is, Matt grabbed his pillow a little before 4am and slept on the floor next to Carter’s crib until 7am. Carter woke up one happy dude with Dad at his side.

Carter was a little better today. He still wanted to be held a lot and cuddled with Mom on the couch. We think this is just the cycle we have to go through with his chemo treatments. He’s going to feel lousy part of the time, and we need to just comfort him and get him through it. At least we know this time around he will come out of it, and he will feel better. It’s just an exhausting process for everyone. And it’s hard because we’ve cut back on pain meds because we felt he was acting lethargic or dopey, and now he is saying his tummy hurts. What do we do, go back to more pain meds? It’s all a guessing game. And it seems like a no-win situation either way.

Right now he is crying and Matt and I have both gone in to try and console him and get him to sleep. We don’t know what is going on. We just know he needs his rest now before we go back into the hospital where we know he won’t get much rest.

The Broviac dressing has been another issue the past few days. The Tegaderm (which is the very sticky clear square tape that goes across his Broviac- central IV line and biopatch) has been bubbling up when Carter is getting hot (usually throwing a fit from diaper changes or putting on clothes/pjs). When this area is exposed, we have to do another dressing change. Each dressing change requires sterilizing the area with Chloraprep, which ends up drying out his skin and irritating his rash even more. After three dressing changes in one week (when usually one is required), the rash is now stinging when we have to clean it. This leads to itchiness, etc, etc. Already, it looks like we’ll have to do another dressing change tomorrow. Ugh! We know better days are ahead!

5 comments:

  1. Matt and Kara - When I read your daily blog and the struggles you overcome each day, you both are amazing! I am not at all surprised in how you handle these profound tasks. YOU ARE THE BEST PARENTS!!!!!!!!! Yes, I HATE THIS CANCER. I just keeping praying for your continued strength and that Carter is healed soon. May God just hold you all in his arms today and give you some peace. I love you all so much.

    Carter, little man, you are such a hero to us. And Benny, what a caring brother you are.

    Tink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there guys! The finish line is nearly in sight. It is a tough road indeed. We are saying lots of prayers, you are always in our thoughts.

    Lots of love,
    Daralyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this to shall pass and better days are coming. You guys are all doing an unbelievable job of being brave and strong day by day. I'm sure this is just how this part of the cycle will be but as you know... every day brings a new beginning! We love you and know Carter will beat this soon!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog every day and can't wait for the one that says you are FINISHED with all of this! Carter is one tough cookie and his strength inspires all of us. I pray every day for your little boy that he will be rid of this as soon as possible.
    All my best -
    Terra Awalt Brusseau

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kara and Matt- I hope when I read the blog later tonight or in the morning that you had a better day today. I was talking to your Mom and I know once you get the great results for his scans and tests it will make all this a little easier. A fussy child is tough any time but a brave little guy that has a war going on inside him is so hard. You are both strong incredible warriors fighting this battle together. You will beat it and peace and calm will come back to your darling little family. Shrink, Shrink, Shrink! Big hugs to your wonderful, couragious family!!!! xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete