Saturday, June 20, 2009

On the eve of Father’s Day…

Carter and Grammy telling jokes in their deep voices

Carter and Dad had an okay night sleep. They began the new anti-nausea drug and Carter has reacted fine to it. However, we’ll have to see how effective it really is. When I offered him some dinner this evening he started gagging again. And a true test will be whether or not he is able to keep down oral drugs tomorrow. They have been giving him whatever meds he needs via his IV because he was vomiting everything up. We told the nurses we want to make sure he is taking them and keeping them down before they send us home with all our oral meds again.

Carter’s coloring looks better and he snacked on pretzels and Cheerios all day. He wasn’t interested in anything else, but at least he’s eating something. He also continued drinking a few sips of water here and there. He wants to get out of the room and walk around so badly. We keep telling him none of the kids are allowed to leave their rooms right now (even though it’s just the kids in isolation). I’m sure he has serious cabin fever though.

Grammy, so generously, offered to stay the night with Carter in the hospital. She said she wanted Matt to wake up with as normal of a Father’s Day as possible. We don’t know WHAT we would do without her help during all this! Thank you! Thank you! So, all afternoon Carter was saying, “Grammy, where are you?” He was so happy when she walked into the hospital room this evening.

I’d like to say Happy Father’s Day to my Dad (Grandpa). I’m sorry we won’t be able to celebrate, but I know you understand. We hope you have a wonderful day! We love you!

And, of course, I’d like to wish Matt a Happy Father’s Day!! You are the most unbelievable Dad, and your boys love you more than anything. You are truly the most hands-on father I have ever seen, and I know I could not raise these kids without you. I know you will have brighter and happier Father’s Days in the many many years to come, but let’s cherish this one. These are the times that make you appreciate what we have created together and our unbreakable family bond. You are my best friend in the world, and who knew I could make such a wise decision at the ripe age of 18! I love you! Enjoy your morning of playing golf with your friends. You deserve it!

6 comments:

  1. Good old Grammy! You are a lucky girl to have such a great Mom...I know she wishes she could wave a magic wand and make this all go away. Susan said it was fun seeing you today...so happy you could get a little fresh air! I can see that Carter has more spunk by the pictures...it will get better. Happy Father's Day Matt...as Kara said you have been a true hero to your whole family. Have a wonderful day. Big hugs to the Kipp family. xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day to a terrific dad! The world needs more men like you Matt. Take care - C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big love and hugs to daddy Matt and his wonderful family. Julie Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across your blog through a friend, and you are and will continue to be on our nightly prayer list. Have a good Father's Day you all. Sounds like you have a wonderful Daddy!

    Love from Indiana
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Father's Day Matt! You are an awesome Father & husband. May the Lord bless you beyond measure this Father's day. May He shower such joy upon you for this next leg of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Father's Day Matt!! You have always been such a wonderful dad, and you deserve the extra recognition this year. As always, our family is sending yours tons of love, support, prayers and positive thoughts.
    XOXO, Katy, Harv, Jordan and Mason

    ReplyDelete