Bennett reminds me of his B-Day sign for CarterWith a tired Mom and Carter in the hospital Dad gets to write the blog. (I realize the bar is set very high and will do my best…) As Kara has said over the past week, this round of chemo has been very hard on all of us. Certainly the “hard” is all relative. We haven’t lost sight that Carter is still the kid who has to get this horrible treatment but we have definitely noticed a change. Carter’s cough continued throughout the day and the oncologist’s early diagnosis is a virus. We’re still waiting for some definitive results to confirm that but so far that’s his gut feeling. In the end, we’re just hoping to have a slightly more energized boy like we had during the previous weeks.
We continue to deal with Carter’s nausea as well. Unfortunately, Carter received some oral meds today and instantly threw them up. We’re working hard to limit the oral medications and switch to IV forms but some are not administered that way. In fact, this evening they were ordering up a cough medicine that would soothe his throat by swallowing a liquid…obviously, I’m very nervous about the aftermath. Tomorrow we are scheduled for our next dose of chemotherapy, which should not be delayed because of this cough. The sooner we can get through these rounds the better.
On the positive side of all of this, Carter’s one on one with both of us during these hospital stays has boosted his vocabulary. Late last night while Kara and Carter were sleeping a nurse helped to change Carter’s diaper. Carter was very restless, kicking and not at all cooperating. While she was pulling his pants back up, Carter popped up to say, “No, Momma pull my pants back on me!” The nurse was probably so frustrated but all Kara could think about was how proud she was of Carter for using so many words in a sentence.
We continue to be overwhelmed by the attention we are getting from friends, family and others touched by Carter. We are so grateful for all the thoughts and prayers coming our way. It is truly amazing and we all look forward to crossing the finish line together!
Great job Matt! We are praying that tomorrow brings some peace to Carter and the nausea calms down. You are doing such a great job even when it seems almost impossible to be positive. Hang on...things will get better! We love the idea of a MAJOR celebration to rally around the Kipp family and say job well done! Here's to that day...in the mean time hang on! Bigs hugs to a brave family battling this cancer as a united team. We are all so proud of you. xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteMatt
ReplyDeleteAlthough I haven't met you or your wonderful family, I want you to know my prayers to the Lord are always for Carter's complete healing. God has put this precious boy on my heart for a reason and I believe it is just for that purpose. I will continue to pray everyday.
God Bless
Matthew you are a prize! Both you and Kara have shown such perserverence with this journey. You have no idea the amount of wisdom and love you have given back to all of us.
ReplyDeleteI thought about Carters fight of this cancer last evening and summed it up like this...He is doing a Triathalon right now, he has finished the swim and is half way through the bike ride (eating his power bars, drinking the gatorade and peddling steadily)anxious to get to the run. Andddddddddddddd when he does, WE ALL WILL BE RUNNING ALONGSIDE HIM TO THE FINISH. And a MAJOR celebration like no other will be waiting.
Hang in there Team Kipps, you are making so much progress. I love you, Tink
Nice job on the blog, Matt! Kar really has set the bar high :) I know its been a rough few days, but Carter is a fighter and hopefully he will be feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteYou all continue to amaze me with your strength - especially how you always find something positive to say each day about this journey.
Hang in there!
XO, Shan
Matt you did a fine job filing in for Kara. Bennett is cute as a button and such a support for Carter. Atta boys for the 2 of you fine fellas. I am reminded that sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better, something Granny said once that stuck in my brain. I am praying that this is the worse and now it is time for Carter to start getting better.
ReplyDeleteI command whatever is causing this cough leave Carter in the name of Jesus, you are not welcome and will no longer be entertained. I speak to Carter's white blood cells, be fruitful and multiply, rise up and fight all that is not of God within Carter's body. I speak to that tumor once again, dissolve in the mighty name of Jesus. Father You are the Creative Creator. You said command Me My hand, well Father I am commanding Your hand to finish what is already established in heaven....Carter's healing. In the spirit realm Carter is a sweet young boy that dances around your throne healthy and whole. Make it so in the natural realm as well in Jesus' mighty name.
Matt, Kara, & Bennett - grab a hold of Jesus' robe and don't let go. Granny also said "it ain't over until the fat lady sings." Frankly I am not ready to sing that kind of tune. I am praying joy & strength return to all of you, including Carter. I am praying that God's mighty hand of provision keep moving on your behalf financially, physically, emotionally, & spiritually. That you all come into a season of His divine blessing like you have never encountered before. Many hugs. Your friend still praising and praying!
You did a great job. Carter is an inspiration to our family and we pray for him each night. I hope he feels better soon and gets to come home. Eat away Carter!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, The Walker's
Brooke, Mike, Emmy and Reese