Today was our big MRI visit to UCLA. And it was big. To start, Carter vomitted right after they put him under general. They think he got some fluid in his lungs. They are keeping us overnight to monitor him and to make sure nothing further develops. If he's not better tomorrow, they will ambulance us to CHOC to be monitored there. He's on antibiotics, they ran lab work, etc etc.
The hardest news came next. The surgeons came into recovery room after they had a chance to review scan. Carter needs a liver transplant... They are hoping to get him on the transplant list by Thursday and then we wait. This was not at all the news we were hoping for. It hit us like a ton of bricks. With the progress we seemed to be making, we became so hopeful we would have a resection. Now we will probably start next round of chemo next week while we're waiting for our new liver. If a liver becomes available anytime, even during chemo cycle, we'll come to UCLA and everything will be evaluated.
Ugh! Matt and I were sort of side-swiped. Not what we were expecting, but now we have to focus on what is the best course of action to get this cancer out of his body. We have a very hard 3-6 months ahead, followed by 2 years of stress, and then things will look more promising.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so sorry to hear that little Carter has to have a transplant. We were all praying so hard for the resection. I guess now we start praying for a liver to become available quickly! You guys are being so unbelievably strong through all of this. I hope Carter gets better tonight so you're able to go home tomorrow to rest and relax in the comforts of home.
ReplyDeleteLots of love,
Sarah Kane
ps...If anybody reading this is in the Orange County area, we are having a fundraiser for the Kipp Family on July 16th. Please email me for more information and the flyer that you will need to present. skane@marcusmillichap.com
Oh my.....i'm so sorry you didn't get the news we all so badly wanted for you. Carter is so amazing and so are his mommy, daddy, brother and all of his family. We will be praying for a liver to become available and that God would just continue to give strength and guidance to Carter's medical staff. Hang in there.....your strength is nothing short of inspirational....praying always.
ReplyDeleteKipp Family! Not the news you (we all) had hoped for. God works in strange ways; keep your strength focused on healing, and the outcome will be the same, albeit the road a little longer - Carter will finally get back his happy and healthy life. We are praying hard for you all to endure this unexpected path. The Christensens are sending lots of love and hugs to you guys. XOXO Daralyn
ReplyDeleteWow! I am sorry the path has taken a turn. I will continue to pray for you all and remember that God never gives us more than we can bear. . . he must have you pegged as pretty tough family! The bright side. . . you will know that all the cancer is gone from his liver, I am always trying to look for the silver lining. I hope you are home soon to have some normalcy. You will continue to stay in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWe are sorry to hear that Carter needs a transplant, we too were thinking and praying that he would have a resection and you all could move on from this a little faster. I have no doubt that you will be able to move on after he gets a nice healthy liver and recovers. You are all so strong and gettin through each difficult step along this process. Thank you for continuing to update everyone with this blog - what an amazing family you are!
ReplyDeleteAnna-Marie Claassen
Kara and Matt-
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the rough day you had yesterday. We will now pray that a liver becomes available for Carter soon and that you can all move forward toward his complete recovery. We continue to be awed and inspired by your strength through all of this-and we are sending much love your way.
Kristin and Scott
Ok, next mountain to climb! I am always amazed at the strength of your family. You have continued to handle each bump with dignity and grace and will do so with this latest development. The mother of a friend from Dylan's school used to work for a Dr. Busuttil who was or is one of the transplant heads and offered her assistance in whatever way possible. Let me know if you would like her contact info. Carter WILL get his new liver soon and WILL beat this! Our prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteThe Shumow Family
Praying a liver becomes available soon. Love and hugs to all of you. Julie Weaver
ReplyDeleteWow, a liver transplant?! That is not what I was expecting either with all the progress he's made lately. I am so sorry to hear this news, but I will be praying that one comes available soon and at a perfect time for Carter to have the surgery. What a rough day you guys...I'm believing that it will only get better. We are all with you on this long road ahead to a Cancer free Carter! We love you all and believe in your strength, endurance, and Carter's health!
ReplyDeleteShelley H.
I am so sorry about the news. As always you are an inspiration and show us tue strength. We will continue to pray for little Carter that he will find a new liver ASAP!
ReplyDeleteJud, Nikki,and Mackenzie Crary
We are praying for a new liver for Carter and a cancer free Carter!
ReplyDeleteThe Walker Family
WOW. So sorry to hear about the crappy day yesterday and then the news of the liver transplant. Ugh. What a day. I hope that they release you to go home today, and not back to CHOC. I keep saying this, but you guys continue to amaze me with your strength. We will pray that a liver becomes available for Carter soon and the timing all works out. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteXOXO,
Shan & Tony
Praying for a liver. Any chance of a partial liver transplant? I have heard of that, where only part of someone's liver is used and it regenerates. Is that not possible? I love that little boy, even if I have never met him. God bless you.
ReplyDeleteHollie Woods
I am so sorry for what you are going through. You are constantly in our prayers. We are following your blog daily and looking forward to the day when we read...cancer free!
ReplyDeleteJosh and Dana Young
It's terrible to have to watch your dear friends fight such a horrible battle. Please find added strength from your ever-growing village of supporters. Our family will send even MORE love, prayers and positive thoughts your way daily. We will be here for you every step of the way. Stay strong Carter, I know you will kick this cancer's ass one way or another!! XOXO, The Harvies
ReplyDeleteA complete healing is in store for Carter. Stay strong and know that he will be victorious.
ReplyDeleteAll my love and prayers,
Jody
Keep up your positive attitude and hope.
ReplyDelete"Hope" by Crystal T (cancer patient)
Its magic and its free
Its not in a prescription
Its not in a IV
It punctuates out laughter
It Sparkles in our tears
It simmers under sorrows
and Dissipates our fears
Do you what know hope is?
Its reaching past today
Its dreaming of tomorrow
Its trying a new way
You're trying a new way now...and I am sure Carter will conquer this challenge as he has conquered all others so far. Love you, Sarah Frey
Kara,
ReplyDeleteMy heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you and your little boy tonight in a very big way. As you make this turn, we all make it with you.
-Joanna
So sorry to hear that. Hang in there as much as you can. We are ALL thinking about you and your sweet boy. We will pray for you. xo. Andrea
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so heavy for your family. NO ONE should have to go through what you are....no one. I will contine to pray for strength as you look ahead to the coming months.
ReplyDeleteTerra Brusseau
So, so sorry Kara and Matt! I know this is not what you have been hoping for. Praying a new liver becomes available NOW and that you find new strength and hope in everyday. XOXOX
ReplyDeleteCarter - So many people love you! Stay strong! When I come up against something in my day that knocks me down, I think to myself "If Carter can do that...then Erin, you can do this!! Thanks for the inspiration little man.
Kara, Matt and family, We know that this is not at all the path you expected to follow. And what a truly crappy day this was.
ReplyDeleteWe will continue to hold fast to the truth that this new part of Carter's journey to recovery is the perfect one. You are an amazing family. Please feel our hugs and support as you and your sweet little man wait for the perfect new liver.
Love, Jan and Jack Ashby