Eating ice cream at Courageous Kids Celebration on the floor
Carter being tickled by Mom
Two Big CheesesThe good news is Carter only got sick those two times last night before going to bed. He slept okay, and we’re hoping the vomiting has passed. He is still gagging and nauseated, so we aren’t pushing any food. Today was his day to recover and rest before his two chemo drugs tomorrow. Then, the oncologist said there is a possibility of us going home tomorrow evening. This would be so nice!
We got a chance to ask a few more specific questions to the oncologist about the CT scan results. He said the tumor has probably shrunk about 40%!! Yes, it is still minimally on the right side, but it is no longer on top of the portal vein on the right side. This was one of the concerns of the surgeon we spoke with at UCLA. The oncologist also said he has never seen any less than 4 rounds of chemo before surgery. So, we know to plan for another round before making a surgical decision. And the oncologist said Carter’s tumor has regressed substantially and these are only results after two rounds of chemo. We are so hopeful we’ll be able to have resection surgery and not a transplant. The doctor said we could not have hoped for better results at this phase. Carter is doing great!!
Not to leave the super big brother out of the picture…Bennett is doing great too. We want to remember all aspects of this experience, so we have to mention Bennett too. He drew Carter a card for his birthday and wrote on it, “I ‘heart’ U”. I told him it was so sweet and he is getting so good at drawing hearts. He said, “Mom, don’t you remember Dada taught me the recipe to make hearts? You just draw a V, then loop it back around.” We will be so sad the day when his clever phrasing goes away, 4 is a great age. Yesterday, he had a swim lesson and Grammy and Auntie took him. He wanted to get there a few minutes early to play in the pool. Just as he took off his shoes, he yelped for Grammy, “I got shot in my foot!” Grammy ran over to see what happened and saw a bee lying on its back. She said, “Bennett, I think you just got stung by a bee.” Of course, as dramatic as he is he required immediate medical attention. Oh, if he knew what his little brother endures! They are both so precious though. Carter just has to be extraordinary in an unusual circumstance.
Mom got an ultrasound at her OB appointment today and the baby looks great. My doctor wanted to get everything checked out because of possible exposure to chemo, but the baby is growing just fine. The ultrasound tech was explaining each part of the anatomy as she was going over it. She showed the kidneys, and then I asked if she could show me the liver. She continued doing the ultrasound and asked why I wanted to see the liver, and I said, “Well, my two year old was diagnosed with liver cancer…” and I absolutely lost it. I was hysterically crying. I tried to contain myself and she was saying how it seemed so rare and asked what the chances were of getting it. I said, “One in a million…” and lost it again. As I was trying to look away and pull it together, I glanced in the mirror to my side and she was wiping down her cheeks. I made her lose it too. Sometimes it’s good to let it all out, and Matt and I never know when or where it will hit us.
Matt is forever grateful to his in-laws. Grandpa came by the hospital and brought lunch to Matt today while I was at my appointment. Then, Grammy came this evening to relieve Matt for the night and sleep with Carter. THANK YOU GRAMMY! We hope they have a good night sleep, and know Dad definitely will at home. Family is wonderful all the time, but especially at times like this!!
It is a long journey! And yes, it is ok to fall apart! As you said Kara, "never know when it will hit us"... part of the journey. Hang in there kipp family. It will all work out!! Big hugs to all of you. Julie Weaver
ReplyDeleteOh whew you are human...I was begining to think you were a super human. I cry almost every time I read this blog and as you can see it is 2 in the morning...can we say obsessed. You and Matt are so brave and I am glad you have a break down once in a while. This is a brutal situation and you are doing a wonderful job coping with it. Carter's results sound fantastic...yea for the shrink, shrink, shrink you nasty tumor! Grammy you are the best...I will see you on Monday for a little fun! Big hugs and I hope Matt wakes up refreshed and ready for a final day in the hospital with his brave little guy. By the way I love the Bennett stories...the receipe for making a heart is the cutest thing ever! xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteThat brought tears to my eyes! You guys are so brave and I am thrilled to hear that the tumor is shrinking!!! What amazing news. I'm so happy that you guys have such a wonderful team around you. Keep letting the tears out when they need to flow...they can be good medicine! Take care and we are keeping you all in our daily prayers!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Courtney Norton
You and Matt have both been so strong through this whole ordeal. It's only natural to break down. Heck, I cry everytime I read this blog. haha. Well I dropped off some Elmo cookies that I made for Carter at the nurses station...hopefully they gave them to you guys. I hope his appetite comes back soon and he's able to enjoy them.
ReplyDeleteLove, Sarah Kane
Kara-
ReplyDeleteI was surprised when I read your comment about hoping you and Matt can be such great friends and people to others if ever needed. I can only say that you already are, since so many people are rallying around you and pouring love & prayers your way. You two are such an example of how to handle the worst with such positivity. I love reading this blog and knowing how you all are doing, and I feel like I'm getting to know your family so much better. We have been praying for you all and I am overjoyed with the shrinking of Carter's tumor & the overall CT results.
Keep your head up, but like someone else said, it's also good to cry every now & then--and you deserve to be able to!
ITB-
Jenny (Wells) Mavros
Hi Kara and Matt,
ReplyDeleteWe couldn't be happier for the shrinking tumor! We know these final rounds of chemo will wipe it away!!!!! We had so much fun with Bennett visiting yesterday. We hope he can come over often! Kara, every time I think of you and the ultrasound tech, I cry. You are so brave and positive and I'm so proud to have such an amazing neice. I love you!
Jamie, Jayson and the girls