We had no idea when we began the blog what it would bring to us. We started it simply to inform as many friends and family about Carter’s diagnosis and treatment as quickly as possible. Then, we realized Carter would probably never remember this experience and we wanted to capture the journey as best we could. He’s been an incredible fighter and we wanted him to know how he overcame tremendous obstacles at a very young age.
Through the process we used the blog to reflect back on where we were at similar phases within chemo cycles. It became a great resource to us to really understand what Carter’s body is going through each day. The blog has also been very therapeutic to Matt and me. It has allowed us to stop and look back at the day and realize our challenges and goals in the days to come.
Then, there is the amazing feedback we have received. We began to understand that this has allowed our friends and family (and complete strangers) to be on this journey with us as well. Even if it just allows others a glimpse into the world of pediatric cancer and having a chronically ill child, maybe it gives people a little more compassion for others going through similar experiences.
The reason for even thinking about the blog tonight was because I pulled up the blog’s analytics and where the blog is being followed (which I hadn’t done in a long time). I began to cry. It is absolutely AMAZING that Carter’s story is being read by people all over the world…from Australia, Japan, Malaysia, Iran, and South Korea, all over Europe, Africa, South America, Mexico and Canada. In ALL 50 of the United States! And 271 cities in the state of California! Wow! Incredible.
Yes, the blog has been time-consuming during a time when we didn’t have a moment to spare. But we have gotten so much more out of it than we have put into it. The outpouring of support from people all over the world has gotten us through some of the most difficult days. And if Carter’s story has made others live in the moment a little more or give their own child an extra squeeze, it has been worth it to share.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, I am one of your "happened upon and got stuck" type of readers from Europe. I find your family absolutely amazing: the way you love and help your little Carter heal. It breaks one's heart to see a small kid go through the hell of this cruel disease, yet it is inspiring to read about your faith and endurance in the face of it all. Having premie twins in our family I can relate to your fight for the health of your baby. I keep praying for continuing good results for Carter!
ReplyDeleteGod bless your family,
Timea from Budapest, Hungary
Hi Kara
ReplyDeleteI have been following your journey for a short while from Australia. I have gone back into your archives to learn more about Carter's story. As a mum of two young children, your story has deeply touched me. Carter and your family have certainly reminded me to live in the moment and not take anything for granted.
Carter and your family have been and will continue to be in our prayers.
That is truely amazing! Thats a lot of people praying and pulling for Carter. Hope you all have a good day.
ReplyDeleteGina
This is amazing. I think your family and especially Carter, will never know how much you changed so many lives. I know Carter's fight has given our family new perspective and I am sure it has provided the same to people all over the world (how crazy is that!)! Thank you for sharing your life, good, bad, and ugly with us! You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteNikki and Jud Crary
I have been reading for a few months now and I check it every day to see how Carter is doing. Yesterday I was at an art center in Sacramento with the 2 yr old girl I nanny for and we ran into another 2 yr old who also had cancer. He has leukemia and was diagnosed in July and it was a huge deal that he was out of the house.
ReplyDeleteThis boy was so full of energy and was as happy as could be. He was carrying around his mom's camera taking pictures of everything that he saw. I spoke to the mom and she told me he was going through chemo. When she spoke, I was amazed at how calm she was and how she was so optimistic about his recovery. She also has a 5 year old boy who was having a blast at the art center but his mom said he was having some trouble coping from his brother's diagnosis.
My heart went out to their family and I even told her that I read a blog about another toddler with cancer (Carter). Toddlers with cancer are going to be so brave as they grow up... they will have experienced things that we can only hope won't happen to us.
Kara and Matt - you are amazing parents and all three boys are so lucky to have you as parents. I am so glad you are sharing his story because I could understand what the little boy and his family were going through.
Suzie from Sacramento
I don't go a SINGLE DAY without reading about Carter. It's great for all of your friends to be able to check in on you and Matt without bugging you with a call or email. So thankful you're sharing your journey with us.
ReplyDeleteITB, Sarah
That gives me the chills! To have literally a world of support just reflects how special your family is and how you can help others during such an incredibly hard time. We are proud to have such a wonderful family as our friends. Don't worry, made me cry too reading that, ha ha. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThe Norton Family
I have been following your blog since the El Torito fundraiser. I've read every day except for August(the best month)when we were out of town. When we came back the first thing I did was look at the blog and cry I was so happy to read that Carter had received his transplant. We have two boys, almost 2 1/2 and 4, and your blog puts everything in perspective.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your ups, downs and sideways with the world. You have a tremendous amount of courage. It is so great to see how much support is directed your way through the energy of family, friends and strangers. Makes me want to drive right up there and give you a hug! :)
Liz
San Diego, CA
You guys are amazing for keeping up on the blog each day. It is so helpful for everyone that wants to follow Carter's progress. I know it must be a lot, especially at the end of the day when all you want to do is go to sleep. Thank you for the energy and effort you have put into it - there isn't a day that goes by when we don't check it. We have learned so much about life and keeping things in perspective, and most of all, we love being able to cheer on Carter!
ReplyDeleteLove of love,
The Delucchis
Burlingame, CA
God is so amazing...just when you think you are going a part of your journey alone He brings people in to walk along side of you...to love you, to encourage you, to keep you on the right path and to keep you going. That is what God has done for you through this blog. Yes, you started it as an information piece for your family, but God took it global. He knew you needed the prayer of the saints to get your family through. Your family has been on one heck of a roller coaster journey...lots of twists, turns, ups and downs...but God remained faithful and has taken you through it all. I just dance in celebration before His throne for you and all the new friends/family that you have made along the way. Keep us posted on this wonderful little warrior and your awesome family! Many hugs, many prayers, many blessings from the Saints In Training @ CWL!
ReplyDeleteReading your blog has become part of my daily morning routine. I wake up praying for good news about Carter and how he is feeling. I can't tell you how many times over the past 6 months that I have thought of you and reminded myself to be present and thankful for the little things in life. I just wish it didn't have to be YOUR family teaching me and all of the others these important life lessons. It's surreal because you guys are among our closest friends. You deserve every ounce of love and support from around the world.
ReplyDeleteLove you, The Harvies
Thanks for sharing your story with us. We pray everynight for Carter because of this blog, we read the post and then pray. I squeeze my kids tighter and love more because of your story. You are an inspiration to all. CARTER ROCKS and so does his family!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the life lessons! Blessings to each of you and continued love and prayers for a 100% healthy in every way Carter. We really think this could actually be a book you and Matt could get published!
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs,
Jan and Jack
I think you and Matt are amazing. I have followed your blog faithfully since the night I first met you - which was your first night at CHOC. I am Brooke's grandmother - Allyson's mother. The cancer journey that Brooke and Carter have endured has changed MY life. I am a better, stronger person than I was before. I have learned to live each day as it comes to me since all we really have is this moment in time. The strength and courage of Carter and his family and Brooke and her family has humbled and astonished me. Kara, you and Matt are so lucky to have one another and your children, family and friends are truly blessed to be a part of your life. Thank you for this blog and for the wisdom you and Matt have shared with all of us. We will remember you always.
ReplyDeleteRobin Ballou
Wow Kara and Matt...you should be so proud of yourselves...you helped save Carter's life. Reading and commenting on your blog has been so wonderful and I can't thank you enough. Instead of me bugging Grammy constantly I could always check the blog for an update. People love your darling family and we are all so thrilled it has had a happy ending. Now go live your life and say good bye to cancer and hello to lovin life. Big hugs and lot's of love. xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteI am another one that stumbled upon your blog and since that day, have checked almost daily on Carter. My husband and I have three little ones ourselves...almost, four, two and one and we are just amazed at your families strength. Carter is one amazing little boy and so blessed to have you two as his parents. The first night I found your blog, I literally read through almost every entry, just crying...I had to go snuggle my babies when I was done. Days that I get frustrated with their "antics" Carter and the five of you pop in my head and I just take a deep breath. There isn't a day that goes by, since finding your blog I haven't said a prayer for you sweet little boy and your entire family. It is amazing that there are so many people you've never met following along in this journey. Thank you for sharing this with us. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteKim (California)
Wow. It is wonderful to know how far Carter's reach is. You are a special family, with a very special (and LOVED) little boy.
ReplyDelete