Saturday, October 10, 2009

We are taking control again


This is a record around our house lately. It is 8:45pm and all the boys are asleep. I am such a scheduler and always have been. This comes in handy when your child gets cancer and then has a liver transplant because you must be very organized and have everything on a schedule (just a LONG schedule now). We always used to get our kids to bed really early and they slept through the night with no problems. Having a sick child definitely throws a wrench in this process. As organized as we can be, it is just impossible to get the boys in bed any earlier. Carter must take one of his nighttime meds between 8:15-30pm every night. This is one of the many things that delay the kids going to bed.

Then, there is the physical act of getting them to bed. As I’ve mentioned before, Carter has become a nightmare to put to bed. It’s something I dread in the evenings. I feel terrible letting him cry himself to sleep because he’s sick from chemo or sore from a liver transplant. Now, he has a broken leg so we worry he is trying to stand up and might hurt his hip or other leg. Matt went in there the other night when he was crying and it was completely dark in Carter’s room except for a glow-in-the-dark cast going upright. We had to laugh. Carter was stuck standing up, but with his hands on his bed. He knows now to not stand up in his crib with his cast. But now he just sits there when I put him to sleep and won’t lie down. It’s become a big game to him. So, Matt and I are taking control again…with a little good cop/bad cop. I sing him a song and say good night and leave the room. He is screaming and crying. And Matt goes in a few minutes later and tells him to go to bed. So far, it’s working. And I don’t end up spending an hour in there just to end up walking out to a crying child anyway.

And we are getting Davis’ fussiness under control too. He is now on Zantac to help with reflux and some Gripe Water to help with gassiness. We’re not sure which one it is or a combination of them, but he seems more content during his wake time now.

4 comments:

  1. Love it...if you don't take control they will win because they outnumber you. I like schedules too and deep down so do kids so you are doing the right thing even though that little face of Carters can melt you. You and Matt deserve a little time together...before you both pass out once you get the kids down. So happy to hear things are calm this weekend...big hugs to all the Kipps.
    xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cast had me cracking up! I am glad Davis is feeling better. You are even closer to the end than you were yesterday. Keep hanging in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the stories you need to write down! Thank goodness for the blog! What a chronicle of all the crazy times : ) I'm so glad that you are getting davis's fussiness under control...that is so hard on top of everything else you guys have going on. Take care and I hope you get some down time this weekend!

    Love,
    Courtney Norton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you guys! That is so funny about the "glow in the dark" cast. You definitely have to laugh about all of this. I'm happy to hear that Davis is a little calmer...better late than never! We are big schedulers here also and always have been. I find if I don't take control than I go a little nuts so I have to stay strong ( as hard as it is sometimes) and know eventually they'll follow along that this is the plan. Hang in there and hopefully each day will get easier.
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete