
We started a tradition at our house every night at dinner. This is something Matt’s mom (Grandma) told us she did with their family when Matt was growing up. Everyone goes around the table and says what their favorite part of the day was. It’s pretty funny, and often very sweet, to hear what the boys have to say. This is Carter’s favorite thing to do, so he always gets the ball rolling asking each of us. He must realize how exciting my day is with a newborn baby and an immuno-suppressed child…some days I don’t even get to leave the house. The other night we were going around the table and Carter said, “Mama, what was your favorite part of the day?...getting the mail?” And Matt and I had to laugh because it was probably the truth!
One great thing about the past six months is the amount of quality time we have gotten to spend together. Since we’ve had so much separation with hospital stays, etc. we definitely enjoy when we are all just home and feeling well. So, it’s nice we’ve had the opportunity to sit down at the table for dinner together every night.
That is a great idea for a family dinner tradition! That is hysterical about getting the mail...I would guess it was probably true also. It is great and actually a blessing to pause and enjoy each other's company as you guys have been doing even though it's been through very unfortunate circumstances....it sounds like you have been entertained along the way though with your little guys! Have a great Sunday!
ReplyDeleteShelley H.
What a great post! We used to do that at dinner too(I saw it in the movie "the story of us") and my then 3 year old son's favorite part of the day always made us smile. He's 4 now, with a much broader vocabulary so i can only imagine the wonderful things he'd come up with now. Your post reminded me how much fun that little tradition brought to our dinner- I'm going to start doing it again.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Carter is doing better! I love reading that he is doing better & feel sad when I read he's not doing good.
Favorite part of the day? Reading that post.
ReplyDeleteI love you guys!
Auntie Tracy
wonderful story...love and hugs, Julie Weaver
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this yesterday, we decided this was something we had to start doing as well. Such a great idea!!!
ReplyDeleteHope you guys had a great weekend!
The Cesta's
Laughed myself silly about getting the mail...Carter is too cute! What a wonderful tradition to start with your boys...letting them think about their day and always saying something positive...LOVE IT! Hope you had a great "Davis" day...he deserves a special day. Let's all have a wonderfu week...especially the Kipps. Trick or treat! Big hugs xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteI love this....we do it everynight when I am putting the girls to sleep. I love that Carter wants to hear everyones favorite part. That made me laugh and smile....the mail comment. Praying for you daily. Love, Brooke
ReplyDeleteThat is so great - we have been doing something similar for the last few years, we each get to say what we are thankful for each day. It is so nice to reflect, if even for a few minutes on each day.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your journey.
Heather Mezzetta
What a great idea "Grandma". Sounds like you have had some fun time which has been so needed.You are in heart every day.
ReplyDeleteLove Auntie Tink