Carter and Matt headed to CHOC for blood work at 7:30am this morning and then to the kidney scan appointment at 9:30am. We have normally done this scan on an inpatient basis, so we had forgotten the long process. They had them arrive two hours prior to the scan. Then, after doing the scan they needed to draw Carter’s blood an hour later and then again three hours after the scan. This is to make sure the radioactive dye levels are decreasing in his body. Needless to say, they spent the majority of the day at CHOC. Luckily, we have become good at waiting and Matt can entertain Carter well. We will receive the results from this scan sometime tomorrow.
I spoke to UCLA this morning and they told me Carter’s platelet level was low. Our transplant coordinator asked if I had noticed any bruising on Carter. I was so glad she said this. Last night I had said to Matt that Carter had about 8-10 bruises on his leg (the one without the cast) and I was wondering if something in his blood was off. This information was relayed to CHOC to see if they felt Carter needed a transfusion. Two of the oncologists weighed in and decided he did not need one and his levels are in the upward trend. UCLA just advised us to hold off on aspirin, which we give to Carter every evening.
We wanted to thank some very special kids. Jake and Claire had their 6th birthday party together and in lieu of gifts asked their friends to bring donations to Carter Kipp’s Fight Fund. It was a big success and our family is so grateful. You guys have very big and generous hearts! Thank you! And thanks to all the families who donated!
Good luck w/ the results--we'll keep praying for the best!
ReplyDeleteHow amazing of Claire and Jake--such a wonderful example and what a show of how important your family and Carter is to them. Precious story...and congrats to their parents that have raised such giving children, what an attribute to instill at such a young age--kudos!
-Jenny
What outstanding kids!!! That is the sweetest thing I've heard! Can't wait to hear about the scan!
ReplyDeleteShelley H.