Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Needing a break?!

Grandma, Carter and Bennett pose for a picture

When Matt and I have been saying we need a break, this is not what we had in mind. Carter was crying many times during the night. He was in pain from his ankle, so Matt ended up spending most of the night in Carter’s room. We called CHOC this morning and explained that Carter’s ankle rolled again (from the weakness in his lower extremities due to chemo) and he fell down, but this time it still hurt in the morning. They told us to come in and a doctor could look at it and send us for an x-ray if need be. Well, we spent hours at CHOC with Mom and Grammy each having to hold Carter down during the x-rays. He was not happy to be laying there. He was not putting pressure on his leg at all and complained of pain from his hip, knee and ankle. So, we didn’t know where the pain was actually coming from. The doctor wanted x-rays of his entire leg to be certain.

This evening they called us and said it looks like a fracture in his ankle. UGH!! However, they need to do another x-ray. Tomorrow morning we will be going back to CHOC for an x-ray and to meet with an orthopedic specialist. In the meantime, Carter is in terrible pain and crying out (on top of him already feeling lousy most of the time). Luckily, we still had pain meds on hand from early in his treatment. The doctor said it was fine to give it to him. Within 10 minutes after giving them, he was a different kid. I didn’t have to hold him, he would play and was willing to eat a little. We may need to continue this through the night if he wakes up. The alternative was to have him be inpatient in CHOC and they could manage his pain and get a doctor to see him tomorrow, but we’d rather be home and do it outpatient if we can.

Matt and I just have to laugh to ourselves about this all, because if we don’t laugh at the situation…we will cry. It’s unbelievably frustrating. We are trying so hard to get through this last phase. This just adds to an already difficult time.

Oh, did I mention we have a colicky newborn baby too?!! Davis didn’t get the memo that we needed him to be the easiest baby in the world. Hopefully, this too shall pass.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes and more yikes...will we see you or Matt with Carter's green bucket hat on your head soon? There really is a light at the end of this demanding, emotional, frustrating, not fair journey. You have done an outstanding job, caring for each of your sons no matter what they needed ...no one could have done more than you and Matt. How lucky for you and those amazing little guys that God gave you to each other!
    Love, Jan and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, but at least it is just an ankle and a fussy baby. Just think of all you have been through and you know better than anyone it could be so much worse. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. I am so sorry you have another bump in the road. I am glad to hear you can laugh about it because I can definitely see how it would make you want to cry.
    Love, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - that is crazy - I cannot believe it. You guys are handling this all so well and doing an amazing job. It will get easier soon?! Lots of love.
    XOXO,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for Davis' colick to go in the mighty name of Jesus, that he returns to be being a happy healthy baby. Praying for a speedy recovery for Carter's ankle. Holy Spirit increase the density of Carter's bones so no more breaks in Jesus' mighty name. Thank You Father for Bennett's health and him being such a wonderful big brother. Bless this family richly in Jesus' mighty name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never personally met any of you and yet I still wish there was some way I could help lessen your load. I guess you can just hold on to the fact that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there and know there ar strangers out there that are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh...a colicky baby Davis on top of all of this???? This is getting to be very out of control for you guys!!! I can only hope that Davis catches on soon that he needs to be a bit more laid back for awhile at least. I am so happy that Carter's pain is manageable so far and hope that it heals soon. Wow, you guys, what a whirlwind for you...hoping today is MUCH better!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kara.......you really so need a break. Poor Carter and poor parents. I am praying for him to be pain free soon and for Davis to get the memo......not fair. I am glad you can laugh about it. Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief Kara...we have been MIA because we are in Washington DC with our grandson. I was having Carter withdrawals so decided to take a peak....really???? I can see that the ship ain't sailing very smoothly. Do you actually have to deal with a potential broken ankle and a fussy baby? Bennett is probably thinking you are all nuts and wants to run away to Grammys house...LOL. Keep laughing and this too will pass...hopefully sooner rather than later. I wish you some calm waters soon!!!! Big hugs and lots of wine! xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete