Carter on one of his six popsicles of the dayCarter and Matt went to CHOC today for blood work and to see an oncologist. One of Carter’s favorite doctors saw him today. We feel like we have a special relationship with him because he was the admitting doctor when Carter was diagnosed. He is a pretty serious and stoic man, but Carter brings out his soft side. Matt said it was hilarious because the doctor ended up giving Carter his name badge, stethoscope and pager to play with during the visit. Carter has even gotten this doctor to dance once when he was inpatient. When we are trying to get Carter to do something at home, we often say, “Please, we’ll do the Dr. ______ dance!”
We heard back from CHOC regarding Carter’s GFR kidney scan results. They are hopeful because Carter is so young his kidney functioning will improve over time. They will continue to watch this through blood work and an occasional ultrasound.
Bennett’s school called this morning and a child there came down with chicken pox. This child had apparently been vaccinated as well. We called UCLA and CHOC to see if they thought I should send Bennett to school. I didn’t get in touch with them right away, so I also called his pediatrician. They said it would probably be best to keep Bennett home and make sure no other kids in the class show any symptoms. It is great everyone is sensitive to this because of Carter. I talked to CHOC later in the day and they said if Bennett got chicken pox we’d immediately have to separate him and Carter, and if Carter showed symptoms he’d be hospitalized right away. This is something we don’t want to ever experience. I wonder how many times we’ll have this same fire drill through these boys’ lives. Better to be safe than sorry.
Today is my grandmother’s birthday. Happy birthday Beema! We are thinking of you, and we hope you had a great day! We love you!
And once again, we are moved and very appreciative by all the support from others. Thank you! Please think good thoughts for Carter's CT scan tomorrow!!
I hope that the chicken pox stay away!!! I hope that Carter is feeling well, he looks great in the picture. Praying for you guys as always.
ReplyDeleteBrooke