Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daily routine

My friend recently asked if things have gotten easier with Carter on a daily basis. It seems like things have gotten more complicated and take longer, but we are more equipped to handle them now. This has been part of our lives every day for the past several months. Right now, this is our daily routine:

4:00am- Feed Davis

7:00am- Carter wakes up

7:10am- Take Carter’s meds out of the refrigerator (they must be out for an hour before being infused)

7:15am- Feed Davis

7:30am- Breakfast

8:15am- Start one of Carter’s IV antibiotics (infuses for about an hour)

8:25am- Prepare and administer morning oral meds

9:15am- Start Carter’s second IV antibiotic (infuses for an hour)

9:45am- Feed Davis

10:20am- Start Carter’s GCSF (infuses for 20 minutes)

10:45am- Finish flushing Carter’s central line

11:30am- Lunch

12:30pm- Feed Davis

2pm- Mid-day oral meds

2:30pm- Naptime

3:15pm- Feed Davis

5:30pm- Dinner

6:00pm- Feed Davis

7:30pm- Baths for boys

8:00pm- Change Carter’s Broviac dressing and start IV antibiotic (infuses for an hour)

8:20pm- Feed Davis

8:30pm- Give Carter evening oral meds

9pm- Finally, get boys to bed!

10:45pm- Feed Davis

And this schedule doesn’t include anything we have planned for Bennett, Carter’s doctor’s appointments or any time for ourselves. It’s a busy day. I told Matt we have to document it because in another few months, we won’t believe we did this on a daily basis.

8 comments:

  1. WOW! It makes me tired just to read it, I can't imagine living it and you document it daily! I hope you have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - that is crazy, Kar! You guys are superstars. I don't know how you keep track of it all. Keep fighting, Carter!
    XOXO -
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep that certainly is one busy schedule. But then again it is a testiment to God's word, He never puts anything on us we can't handle. He knew you 2 were up to the challenge of taking care of Carter. Don't worry things will settle down better once Carter is done with the chemo and the central line is removed.

    Father I thank You that You know what we can and cannot handle and the fact You never give us more than we can handle. Father touch Matt & Kara now, pour out Your joy that is their strength. Compress time around them so they can get done everything they need to do within the hours of the day. When they sleep compress time so when they only get 4-5 hours in Your timeline it will be like they got a full 8 hours and they awake refreshed and ready to go again. Open the windows of heaven above this precious family and pour out blessings too numerous to count. I thank You Father that You hear my prayers and You are so faithful to answer them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. That's about all I can say to that schedule. If I wasn't already completely in awe of you and Matt, I totally am now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is WOW. You 2 continue to amaze me with everything that you have been through and to see this schedule is over the top. But you are doing it and you are doing is WELL.

    I can hardly wait to read someday soon I hope that you can take some real R and R and be normal gain. It will come. You are getting closer and closer to that point.

    oxox Auntie Tink

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh, I'm exhausted just reading that schedule. Isn't it amazing what we can do and endure when we have to. God Bless you both. I'm so glad that Carter is doing as well as he seems to be. He's a strong, brave little boy and Bennett sure seems to be a good big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That is all I have to say. You do it with ease and love. Carter is so lucky to have you as his parents, along with Bennett and Davis. You will look back at this and smile someday. Praying for your family!!!! Love, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Kipp family,
    You are all an inspiration to all of us transplant team members @ Ucla. Your determination, love and laughter help keep things in perspective and the chain link of smiles growing day to day.
    Carter you bring sunshine everyday into our lives and we are truely grateful for you!!!!
    Hugs from nurse AJ @ UCLA

    YOU ROCK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete