Two CharactersCarter woke up a couple of times through the night last night and was pretty congested. Luckily, he went back to sleep okay and slept the rest of the night. Today his nose didn’t seem to be running non-stop like the day before, so hopefully he is on the mend.
My doctor called me yesterday to tell me they scheduled my induction at the hospital for 7am on Tuesday, September 8. We also spoke with CHOC today about when Carter will be admitted for Round 5 of chemo. The hospital will be very busy from the holiday, so they cannot take Carter in to begin chemo until Thursday, September 10. Matt is relieved. He was starting to stress that he was going to miss the baby being born. It is important that Matt talks to the nurses and doctors at CHOC and updates them since Carter’s liver transplant. By the time Carter would be admitted and Matt would actually get a chance to talk to someone would be right around the time (historically) that I would have the baby. Doing them on separate days now should make things slightly easier. Although, this will probably mean I won’t get to see Carter for about 6 days. He and Dad will get some serious bonding time. Fortunately, they make a good team in the hospital. And lucky for Matt and me, we have Grammy and Auntie helping us out that week!
It is definitely starting to seem very real (and scary) that we are bringing a newborn baby into this mix in the next week. I hope Matt and I can share our time with all of them (especially Benny). I hope Carter reacts to having a little brother okay, I know Bennett will do great. And I hope and pray for this baby to be healthy and easy-going.
Tomorrow we are headed back up to UCLA. We will allow Carter to eat breakfast in the car on the way up (now that we know he can eat before getting his blood drawn), so it should make the drive more pleasant for all of us. One thing I asked CHOC about today was the results of Carter’s AFP test the few days before he got his liver transplant. We hadn’t received the results back from that blood work, and then were immersed in his care at UCLA. Well, Carter’s AFP was 12.6! This was from 270,000 initially, and fewer than 10 is normal range. UCLA did his AFP last week and it was 21! This was concerning to Matt and I and we will have the doctors explain it more thoroughly tomorrow. We think because the donor was so young the AFP numbers are higher. Generally, they don’t get to “normal” ranges until 1-2 years of age. It’s just crazy this marker we’ve been following would be higher post-transplant. Hopefully, these next two rounds of chemo will affect that number as well.
Praying things go smoothly with the delivery of wee one. Praying for chemo to no have any nasty side affects on Carter but plenty of side affects on anything within Carter that doesn't belong there! Praying the AFP counts down to normal levels! Rejoicing and dancing before God's throne of grace. Many hugs and many blessings!
ReplyDeleteWish we were closer to lend a physical hand to you guys. Next week will be pretty unbelievable but given what you all handle on a daily basis, labor and delivery should be a walk in the park, right? Just kidding. Hope the weekend is a relaxing one. Sending you, Matt, Carter and Bennett lots of love. The new Kipp will fit in to the mix perfectly. XOXO Daralyn
ReplyDeleteSounds like it will be a tight schedule, but that everything is planned great and should all work out! Can't wait to see pictures of the newest Kipp boy!
ReplyDeleteYes, tight schedule and labor day certainly seems appropriate to start this next week. Big love and hugs to all of you. Julie Weaver
ReplyDeleteWow next week will be wild but it sounds like you have it handled. You and Grammy know I am a phone call away. I will do anything to help you out. I know this baby is going to be really easy going and that Carter will love being a big brother. He is probably ready to have less focus on him. Good luck today and have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Big hugs to all the Kipps, especially new baby brother...what a blessing. xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteWell...I was having trouble (mentally) going into my second round of chemo...and as usual your blog has humbled me...Thank-you so much for sharing...I will be praying for the health and an "easy-going" nature for your new delivery next week.
ReplyDeleteJust checking in on you. I hope that you are all feeling great. Carter looks great!!!!!! I am praying for an easy delivery and an easy baby....I think that you all deserve it after all that you have gone through. Take care and can't wait to see a pic of the new baby and the name! Love, Brooke
ReplyDeleteYour new bundle of baby brother joy will fit so smoothly into such a loving family! Carter has had such a great example of how to be a big bro...he will shine as one! So glad Grammy and Auntie will be with you guys. Blessings to all of you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Jan and Jack