It's a bird, it's a plane...no, it's my In & Out burgerIt was strange being back on the oncology floor this week. Yes, there are the other oncology families we have gotten to know over the past several months. But there were a lot of new faces too. It is always sad for Matt and me to see a family with a new diagnosis being brought on to the floor. You can spot them from a mile away. They look like deer in headlights, and are usually accompanied by a child with a full head of hair. Often, they are spending a lot of time in those early days in the playroom with their child. Their child isn’t immune suppressed yet because they probably have not begun their chemo treatment. The playroom is usually when you get a chance to talk to other families and hear their stories.
Matt was in the playroom this past week and there was a new father in there. He began asking Matt questions about Carter’s central line and his diagnosis. Matt was telling me how he reached out to him and told him our story. Matt was remembering when we were in the playroom the first two days after Carter was diagnosed. There was another mom in there and we must have had that horrified look, and she came up and talked to us. Matt said to me, “I just wanted to talk to this father and scoop him up like that mom did for us.” And that’s exactly what she did…scoop us up. She said it looked like I needed a hug, and wrapped her arms around me and I just started crying. At the time, it was so amazing to me how strong she seemed and how incredibly brave her five year-old daughter was too. Carter is now that brave boy, and our family has survived an incredibly difficult time. It is not over, but seeing other families going through this reminds us of just how much we’ve accomplished. It will always be hard to see other families have to experience this nightmare as well.
It is so strange that this is tonight's post.... because as I was driving home from work tonight, I thought to myself, I need to post on Carter's web page, because at work tonight in the ER, I checked in an 11 year old boy who had a heart transplant 8 years ago at age 3. I immediately was floored, and of course thought of Carter. These kids are amazing to me! To hear stories of what they have been through as kids and what they have endured in their lifetime just makes me appreciate life! What fighters these little munchkins are......keep it up Carter!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGod never wastes a hurt or experience. God is going to use both of you to minister to parents of the new kids...He has already started with Matt. You two can offer all the hope of Christ that you, yourselves, have received. Through this whole thing you learned the faithfulness of God, the power of prayer, and that NOTHING is impossible for God....so now my beloved Kipps is your opportunity to pass it on. Carter is on the tail end of his healing, but once it is fully manifested in his body there isn't any reason why you can't still go to CHOC and minister faith and hope to the parents of those recently diagnosed. I will keep the families in prayer, God knows their names and He will know of whom I ask healing for. Many hugs, many more blessings!
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of a circle of support where everyone passes it forward. How beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIn and Out burger makes everything better! Spoken from someone who would love a bite if you know what I mean...LOL. Kara your words are so heartwarming and lovely. We are all here to learn lessons and pass on what we have learned. I know you and Matt will do big things in your life...whether it is a book, inspirational speaking, fund raising or giving other parents hope and hugs, you have been changed forever. I can't think of two better people and we are all touched and inspired by both of you. Big hugs xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteThe wods you wrote are so true and inspiring. I can't imagine what you are going through and what you have been through. Your family is so strong and I don't know what I would do if it was my family. Hugs help and I hope that your story helps others. Praying for you guys as always.
ReplyDeleteBrooke and family
You have all come so far and are closer to the end than ever before. It must feel wonderful to be able to help these other families and they too will be helping others before they know it. Hang in there Kipps, its almost over!
ReplyDeleteYou continue to be in my daily prayers.
Gina
Matt and Kara,
ReplyDeleteI want you to know that I have been following Carter's blog for a few months. A mutual friend put up the link for your blog on facebook and I instantly fell in love with Carter. I found myself checking in daily to see his progress. I found it odd since I do not know you but I now know why.... My son was diagnosed with cancer this week. I have not checked in on Carter for a few days since I have been in the middle of my own crises. I cried tonight when I read your blog since we are the new family on the oncology floor. You have given me so much strength and I look forward to the day that we are facing the home stretch. You have made a difference in my life and I thank you.
Mollie Ricksen
johnricksen.blogspot.com
Kara-
ReplyDeleteYour posts are so beautiful and full of feeling. It's so incredible to be able to be that help to other families...in person or virtually, as Mollie just posted. Keep up your "work" of supporting other families, it's so important and you'll find the more you do, the more it lifts you up too.
Keeping up prayers for heading into round 6 and for your AMAZING stamina (I just read your daily schedule!) You guys are AWESOME!