Davis loving his first bathDavis is along for this crazy ride with our family now. Although, lucky for him, hopefully by the time he is two months old things will begin to settle down a bit. He’s been a great baby and is still in the very sleepy phase.
Carter woke up a couple times again last night, but went back to sleep pretty easily. Then, he woke up this morning and he seemed better than yesterday. He ate breakfast and took all of his morning meds…not without a fight, but he took them. We had a vomit-free day, and he seemed less nauseated. Grammy came over and Carter was more independent than yesterday and had fun playing with her. However, after his nap this afternoon he was back to wanting to be held constantly and was pretty irritable. It’s an emotional roller coaster for everyone throughout the day. He picked at his dinner and didn’t eat much, but no gagging involved and he took all his meds this evening. We’re doing the most important anti-rejection drug around 8:15pm, and then waiting 30 minutes for it to be absorbed into his body before we continue to do more meds. We’re finding there is less of a chance of him throwing them all up, even though he’s not done taking his meds until close to 9pm. We don’t like for the boys to go to bed so late, but for now there is no way around it.
Carter’s liver levels are high again, but the doctors are hopeful they are just reacting to the chemo. We’ll get more feedback from the doctors at UCLA on Thursday. The good news is Carter’s last AFP level was 10!! Yippeee! Anything 10 and under is in the normal range and we’re hoping it will now stay low.
On the eve of September 16, I wanted to wish Matt a happy anniversary! I can’t believe we’ve been married 9 years and have been together for almost 15 years! You truly are the most incredible person and have given our family so much strength through this journey. Luckily, you already had a strong work ethic because you are the hardest working dad there is! You power through Carter’s central line care, administering meds, and any other required care each and every day. He is SO lucky to have you there for him, and I know we have come this far because of you. I love you, and I don’t know what I would do without you! You’re my best friend and have been my partner 100% of the time. Thanks for the best years ever (even this one), and I know we have many great ones ahead!!
Wow what a week...one baby begins a life and another baby takes life saving medicine to continue a life. You and Matt are a powerful team and continue to amaze me. I remember being at your wedding and thinking you were the most beautiful bride and groom and that you were going to have a magical life. A match made in heaven! Who knew that you would have to deal with something as scary and hard as your beautiful little baby having liver cancer. But you have done an outstanding job of tackling this head on. We are all so proud of you. Hang on guys...Carter will be back to his happy bouncy self soon. Today will be better and then you will have only one more of these sessions! Hang on...even if it is just hour by hour. Davis will soon be the focus of a healthy and happy family and all will get back to normal. Big hugs and please Lord let Kara have a calm day today with her little guys. xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! You guys are an amazing family with such a positive outlook. Praying for you and wishing you a great day. Carter rocks! Davis is adorable....you guys make beautiful babies.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Brooke
Davis is sooo cute and I'm happy to hear he is a very good baby too!!! Sounds like you had a better day for the most part and I'm extremely thrilled that the AFP level was 10!! That's fantastic! Hopefully the liver levels will go down after awhile and Carter will be feeling better. We'll pray for a great day today and Happy Anniversary! It's hard to believe it's been 9 years already! We love you both!
ReplyDeleteShelley H. and family
What a cutie chunk Davis is!!! Carter is SUCH a trooper!!!! Go Carter!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary to a wonderful couple!!!
Happy Anniversary, Kar & Matt! I cannot believe its been 9 years since your wedding and 15+ years since you guys began :) I'm so grateful to have you as friends and hope that this next year, as you approach your 10th, is a smoother journey.
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy to hear that Carter had a better day and hope he continues feel (and eat) better as the week continues.
XOXO,
Shan
A BIG HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KARA AND MATT! I am sure glad you married that curly haired girl. You two are the best!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLots of prayers to our Carter. He is such a little tropper. Love to Bennett "the rad man" and Davis you are a lucky lucky boy to have such awesome parents.
oxoxo Auntie Tink
Happy Anniversary to both of you! Kara, your note to Matt made me cry. I am sure he feels just as blessed to have you as his wife.
ReplyDeleteDavis looks so healthy! I love his little thigh and ankle rolls.....I miss that sweet, sleepy newborn stage. It goes by so quickly.
Thinking of Carter during this very rough time. I really hope his anti-rejection drug helps with keeping his meds down. Although I am sure Carter has become used to it, throwing up is so awful--for the child and parent! Poor little guy.
Andrea Pieretti
Happy 1st week Birthday Davis! Happy Anniversary Matt & Kara! Praise God for the nausea leaving Carter & his appetite returning. Praying for the AFP levels & liver levels to remain low in the normal ranges in Jesus mighty name! Thank You Lord for the completion of Carter's healing...You are ever faithful and wonderful Father! Many hugs and many blessings.
ReplyDelete