Saturday, September 5, 2009

Date night!!


I know it’s hard to believe, but Matt and I actually got to have date night tonight! It will probably be our last date for a long time, so we were glad to squeeze it in. We found the perfect time for us to go on a date…between the hours of 4-8pm Carter doesn’t require any medications. This allowed us to run a couple errands, sit above the beach in Laguna and watch the body surfers while being serenaded by a guitar player, then have a sushi dinner (I had all cooked fish), and finish with gelato ice cream and running into friends. It was great! Thank you Grammy and Denny for staying with the boys. They seemed pretty unfazed that we were gone, which is nice.

I can’t write a little note to Carter in this journal we are keeping without mentioning his super fantastic big brother! Bennett, you have given Dad and me so much strength through this battle. You allow Carter to feel normal and love him and play with him just as you always did. He thinks you walk on the moon, and looks up to you and wants your acceptance more than anyone in the world. Thank you for giving that to him. We would not be able to get through this ordeal without your helpfulness, humor and Bennett-isms. Thanks for making us laugh. You have definitely been on this roller-coaster ride as much as the rest of us, and you have been so encouraging to Carter. You have made us so proud! If there is one 4-year old that can probably comprehend much of what is going on, it is you. I will forever feel sorry for any time that has been taken away from you while we have been fighting for Carter, but know that we would do it all for you too. You wear your heart on your sleeve and you got that from Dad and me. We know it can cause heartache sometimes, but it will bring you more love and joy in life! You are so special and have such a bright future ahead.

We love you so much Benny! Love, Mom, Dad and Carter

8 comments:

  1. I obviously don't know your boys, but they both sound amazing and Bennett seems quite strong for only being 4. You are all so lucky to have each other. Glad you had a "normal" evening, date night sounds like it was wonderful!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for Grammy & Denny! God certainly has partnered you with a good support base. So glad you got some quality time alone; time to relax, breathe and rekindle that wonderful bond you have.

    Bennett I have learned a lot from you as well! I have learned compassion and unconditional love from you. Your mom summed it up nicely in her post to you. You have such a heart of compassion and you have been the best big brother anyone could every ask for. Such a wise young man for your years, so sensitive to the needs of others...those are qualities God can surely use. You love deeply and sacrifice much out of that love. Many blessings upon you dearest Bennett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the praise God for Grammy and Denny...they have been so wonderful and caring thoughout this whole ordeal. You are so lucky to have them in your life. What a lovely little letter to Bennett...you are such a caring Mommy! Have a restful two days and then more fun begins! This new little baby boy will bring joy and more love to your home...what a blessing!
    Big hugs xoxo Cindy and John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you got to go out and have some nice time together before baby comes...that is such a rare treat! And one to cherish! You guys have such an amazing family and each of the boys have such special qualitites. It will be so nice for them to see what this experience was like from your and Matt's perspective. Take care and I wish you LOTS and LOTS more "normal" nights to come!
    Love,
    Courtney Norton

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful note to an amazing big brother. It brought tears to my eyes.
    Your date night sounded refreshing, relaxing and much needed. May your weekend be smooth sailing--filled with quality family time and lots of rest.
    Love,
    Andrea Pieretti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara, I know you have been a blessing from the time God put you in your mom's arms to the time he put you in Matt's. You understand the power of love and support...you and Matt have it and you both give it to each other, your amazing boys and your family.

    Love and hugs,
    Jan and Jack Ashby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! What a fantastic Big brother Bennett has been through all of this!! We are so proud of him too! I am so happy to hear that you guys were able to have a date night before the new baby comes and changes what normalcy you have returned to now. It makes a world of a difference to have just a few hours to yourselves!!
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Shelley H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crying at this point. Such a touching entry. I'm so glad that you guys had a night out. What a deserved treat!!! Much love to your family....hope your impending due date goes well. Will you be delivering at Hoag?? xo ~Jessica Stewart

    ReplyDelete