Ugh! Well, our days are always eventful! Matt and Carter left early this morning for CHOC to get blood work done. Bennett was back at school today. And after Matt and Carter got home, Matt headed into the office. Carter, Davis and I hung out at home. Carter was doing good throughout the day, but had a few moments of being irritable and wanting to be held. He felt slightly warm, so I was taking his temperature throughout the day. He had a low grade fever, but nothing to be concerned about.
Grammy came over to babysit this evening so Matt and I could go on a date! We had such a nice dinner, then came home to our recent reality. Carter felt warmer, and sure enough he had a fever. He was in the "monitor for 4 hours phase" and within 20 minutes his fever developed into the "call the oncologist at CHOC and the transplant team at UCLA and plan to head into the ER phase".
As I'm writing this, Matt and Carter are at the ER. Carter's temperature has already gone down, he is on IV antibiotics, and they are waiting for a bed on the oncology floor. We know this drill all too well. They can plan on being inpatient at CHOC for 2-3 days, and chances are nothing will come of the blood cultures and the fever will be unexplained. It's just what happens while we go through this chemo process. We can't tell you how much we wish for these next five weeks to fly by! Carter, you are a super star and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this!! I've never wished to be so many places at once as I've wished for that over the past five months. I'm sorry I can't be there, but I know Dada is doing a great job!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seriously...come on now enough already!!!! I am so sorry Kara. It just seems like it has been a couple weeks of yuk! But then I remember that Davis was born during this wild ride and what a precious little miracle he is! I hope Carter gets home and you guys can regroup. Please Lord give this family a break soon. They need to have Carter healthy and feeling good. No virus or cold for any Kipp family member. This is my prayer and constant thought for you today. Hang on Kara...you have been such a trooper and based on the past, little Carter will feel great once his medicine kicks in. Big hugs xoxo Cindy and John
ReplyDeleteSuch a wild ride you are all on. Hopefully it will be 2 and not 3 days and then you all have all your boys back under one roof. I will continue my prayers for a healthy Kipp family! Just think how much you have gone through already. . . you are almost there, only 5 more weeks!
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm glad that Bennett is feeling better, but so sad that Carter is back at CHOC for blood work due to the fever. Wow, you guys, this is a frustrating ride you are on and I also wish for you that time goes by real fast. I can't beleive all this craziness that you guys endure daily and it just seems to grow more challenging by the day. I'm so happy you and Matt got to get out for a nice dinner last night thanks to Grammy! Sending our prayers for all of you!
ReplyDeleteShelley H.
Father touch Carter and remove all fever from his body in Jesus' mighty name. I know Father that chemo sometimes does this to people...please minimize the effect of chemo against Carter's body and the healing You have done within him in Jesus' mighty name. Give this family Your peace that surpasses all understanding. I thank You Father for Your hand of protection over this beloved family and I thank You now for the completion of Carter's healing.
ReplyDeleteKara-
ReplyDeleteUgh is right! I'm so sorry to hear this! My little ones are sick right now (yucky stuff is just going around), and I spent all day yesterday b/t the Dr's office, lab, & xrays for my daughter, so I got a VERY small taste of what you guys are dealing w/ daily. You have even more of my admiration than you had before, if that's possible. I will pray that the fever will leave quickly and not adversely affect the chemo and recovery processes. Sending you huge hugs & I think my hubby, daughter and I are all going to join Carter's Crusader, I just need to make sure we're in town.
ITB-
Jenny
Prayers for Carter's health and your peace.
ReplyDeleteHe's one tough cookie!! We'll be praying for you hard tonight.
ReplyDeleteLove from Indiana
Yikes! There needs to be the easy part. Prayers and affirmations of healing and wellness go out to all of you and especially to that amazing little warrior Carter.
ReplyDeleteMajor hugs to every Kipp,
Jan and Jack